Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

LUCKY.....GROUP......CLUB ( BI - PODS - ..ONLY )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Re: LUCKY.....GROUP......CLUB ( BI - PODS - ..ONLY )

What changed?

Someone came along that you do not know, and can not bully....., someone that does not care about 80 lbs. rifles for hunting animals. Someone who is interested in DC's techniques, but also likes to discuss other techniques for hunting. Notice the original subject of this thread.

I have noticed you and bh, and joesaki constantly jump in, attack, take cheap shots, change the subject, and proactively antagonize people that do not agree with you. I do not think you have ever made an accurate rifle, or bullet, or have much technical expertise. It is obvious to many my comments make your little world so insecure, I'm sorry. Some things learned in the tactical world are useful to long range hunting, and you don't have to be a sniper to use them. I think if I copied your last E-mail to me, over to this forum, the average guy reading it would feel insulted by your comments. Contrary to what you believe, the average guy can learn to read the wind better, and it will make them a better hunter.

Whats different is now there is someone who hunts with a bipod, and leaves the heavy suits at home. Someone who in a discussion of hunting with heavy rifles, makes a suggestion to try a quality drag bag, because they actually work. Someone who brings expertise you don't have, and you can't attack or bullsh_t your way around.

Someone who reads the wind and enjoys talking about the techniques involved, someone who stays on the subject if allowed.

Notice the subject matter of this thread, if you have some groups you have shot off a bipod why don't you show them, instead of your _ss. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Unread 01-13-2003, 12:57 AM

WOE DOGGIE on the inclination angle, with out Len's trick Lieca, we can get pretty close, with just careful observation.

One degree is about 5 feet at 100 yards, about 56 ft. at 1,060 yards; look at the treeline on the horizon, and down to where the target is, I would guess no more than 400 feet below the horizon level with our position. 400 feet of elevation change divided by 56 feet, gives us a tick more than 7 degrees of inclination. Hilly country can be awful tricky when it comes to estimating inclination angle. Most guys really overestimate, if they do not have a good tool. Just remember 1 degree gives you about 52 ft. at 1,000 yds. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:08 AM

Missed the wind conditions you stated the first time I read your post, got too many bumps on the head over the years. Is the wind in your face from the center of the picture, and the target on the right edge?
Unread 01-13-2003, 02:31 AM
Platinum Member

Based on the fact that a 15mph wind at 12:30 would produce 28" of drift, I wouldn't take the shot. If it was switching from 12-1 o'clock your talking a 50" swing in wind deflection alone! A 15 mph wind at 3 o'clock might be doable but not for me at 12.

What can you do to determine wind direction shifts of only 1/2 to 1hr? Wind vane setting on a clock? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A couple sighter shots here would help confirm the wind, that's for sure. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Brent Moffitt
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

You most certainly need to smell more burning gun powder if you have been without for almost two years. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Another good trick is to hunt/shoot with your wife or girl friend. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In the situation and location Boyd is at, the "Spotter system" works great. I only mention this as you said you would hold the shot. In your swamp, thick forrest area of Alaska, the spotter system may not work to well unless there is an opening and you have a good spotter with you with bigeyes.
In the picture of Boyds spot in PA,
I would send a spotter shot "or two" over there at the 1250 yd side hill (100 yds to the left of the buck), make my final adjustments off the impact of the bullet and from what my spotter told me (unless I saw the impact myself) the adjustments would take no more then 5 seconds at the most, then swing on that BIG buck and kill it in his bed.
This system has worked for my friends and I for many years now and in the type mountain area you see in the pic. If I were to use the one shot method at the 1250 yd range, I too would hold the shot till better conditions were seen.
Hence, dead buck with the spotter system and maybe an emty freezer with the one shot method because of the held shot and conditions that never improved?

This is why most of us use the spotter system in PA and out west when we go after elk and mule deer. It is a VERY productive way of killing your game.
The range has a lot to do with it also with the average LR hunter. Under 1000 yds, the one shot method is not too hard, after that, it is a bit more involved. The two methods most certainly depends on the range you are firing and the "training or experiance" you have had in each.

Later and good shooting.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Darryl Cassel
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

S1,The wind is blowing in a stright line from where the deer is.12oclock...Just to add something...There is ALWAY'S.. a very bad updraft over the 700 yard hill
Boyd Heaton...
Unread 01-13-2003, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Max, being poorly versed in the skill and science required for this shot would naturally dial in 42.7 on the PRC-25, call 'Big Crown, Big Crown, Snake27, Fire Mission over.' Dead buck, processed but not packaged. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] This is the zenith of the spotter system, and he lets Red Leg worry about the updraft. Never forget the other options [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry for the interruption guys, carry on.