Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

LRH browning A-bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: LRH browning A-bolt?

Evidently it is possible to rebarrel a Browning A-bolt since there are a few on this site that have been done with no ill effects.

APS/Kirby Allen has at least rebarreled one A-bolt as evidenced by the link above.

I have a Browning A-bolt that some day may get rebarreled. Shoots pretty good as is now. When I get ready to rebarrel, I'll be calling some gunsmiths that I know have rebarreled some A-bolts.

I think there are some misconceptions passed along as fact regarding the Abolt that aren't correct when it comes to customization.

I even had one 'smith tell me on the phone he wouldn't work on the A-bolt because it had "plastic" parts in it..... I've still yet to find "plastic" parts in mine....

I think what it comes down to that it's very easy to tear things up if you really don't have the proper tools and technique to work on certain types of actions (kinda like I am with repairing things.... Seems the more I try to fix, the more I tear up... ....)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

I have had a couple A-bolts Re-barreled and while you have to be carefull my smith has not had any issues, he squares the action in the process and they flat shoot when done with them.

I just received a McMillan A3-5 stock for my latest 300WM A-Bolt.

A couple other must haves are a timely rigger spring set and NEAR Mfg one piece picitanny base in what ever MOA can't you want.......you get a sweet rifle with a 60degree bolt throw.....the only limitation I have run across is in the availability of bottom metal and detachable box magazines.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member

I stand corrected. Nice to hear you can rebarrel the A-bolt.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Silver Member

I've had .223, 260, 270, 270 WSM, and .300WM A-bolts, actually they shoot pretty good and are under-rated rifles. 60 degree throw and nice semi-detachable magazine. As has been said here there is mis information about them and there are after market options available. I never shouldn't have sold the 270, man did that one shoot...
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM

i have a abolt 7mm mag. shoots pretty good. but i recently bought my wife a xbolt white gold medalion 7mm08 berger140 vlds and bug holes at 100 yard. will be trying it at 300 yards and 350 when i get around to it. as for my mag i am looking to make it a long range rig thats y i bought it and it was less than 300 bucks with a scope. want to change stock trigger and barrel perhaps true action. just dont know any gunsmiths in my area of pa that would do the work.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakorb View Post
i have a abolt 7mm mag. shoots pretty good. but i recently bought my wife a xbolt white gold medalion 7mm08 berger140 vlds and bug holes at 100 yard. will be trying it at 300 yards and 350 when i get around to it. as for my mag i am looking to make it a long range rig thats y i bought it and it was less than 300 bucks with a scope. want to change stock trigger and barrel perhaps true action. just dont know any gunsmiths in my area of pa that would do the work.
I have a .325 WSM in the x-bolt white gold medallion and it is a consistant less than 1/2" gun at 100yds with my reloads. I also have a 7mm rem mag a-bolt that is a consistant 1/2" gun at 100 yds with my reloads.