Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

LRH browning A-bolt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

LRH browning A-bolt?

I recently have been looking at some of Browning's rifles and i have to say I dig them. However the only purpose I would buy a bolt gun for would be to go long range hunting/target. Would the A-bolt action be suitable for these purposes or is it more of a never fail action opposed to a precision one.

Thanks,
Connor
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: LRH browning A-bolt?

I have read of many owners being happy with the accuracy of their A-bolts. I have a friend that has two, a 223 and a 300 WSM. Both have the BOSS system. He can buy cans of bulk 223 ammo and fine tune the groups with the BOSS. His 300 WSM does the same.

I recently made his 300 a LR load with the 230 gr target hybrid. Got decent vel of 2720 fps. We shot it out to 500M and it shot just fine. Can't tell you if it would work for longer distances. It is light which doesn't help with longer shots than I mentioned.

If there was a flaw with the A-bolt it is the fact that it doesn't allow removal of the original barrel without the potential of damaging the action. As a result you won't hear of guys customizing it other than minor cosmetics. Perhaps others can join in?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

I am one of those happy A-Bolt owners. I have a 300wsm with aftermarket brake and factory tuned trigger (2lbs.) It is an on average 3/4moa rifle out past 1000 yards. That means I've shot 1/2moa and I've shot 1moa+ with it but on average it holds 3/4 moa with HSM ammo. With handloads I'm sure it would be even better. My best group with that combo was a 4 1/2" group @ 976 yards.

So is the A-Bolt capable... I'd say yes.

Would it be my first choice... I'd say only on one condition.
If you insist on a factory rifle and NEVER intend to do any action work or barrel swapping then its as good as any other factory rifle and maybe better if you get a good one like I did.

If you insist on factory but there is ANY CHANCE you might true up the action or swap out the barrel then GO WITH REMINGTON OR SAVAGE!!!
With a few tools you can swap barrels on a savage yourself. When it comes to upgrading and aftermarket parts the Remington is king.

For not much more than an A-Bolt you might be able to pick up semi-custom Rem. or Sav. used off the Internet.

I don't know much about Savages but from what I've heard they are very accurate out of the box. Me personally knowing I would upgrade and not trusting in my own gun smithing skills I would look for a Remington Sendero in the caliber that you think will work best for your specific needs. If you don't reload now let me warn you, that will be next!

Best of luck,
Jason
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

The A-Bolt Is Done

Pretty good thread on the Abolt.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Gold Member

I was unaware McMillan would inlet for a Browning. Very nice!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Platinum Member

That is very interesting. Good to know it is possible to rebarrel an A-bolt. Would be interested in knowing how the action was unscrewed, if there were any special precautions etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Bronze Member

There is an A-bolt with a Hart barrel and trued action on gunbroker right now, so it can be done. Hart did the work on the rifle.