Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

LR Deer/Elk Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Bronze Member

LR Deer/Elk Gun

I am planning on building a LR range gun for hunting. I was leaning towards the 300win mag. But really don't want to put a break on the gun. I'm thinking of shooting to 800yrds. If I want to keep the recoil down what other caibers should I consider to pack enough puch to knock down an elk at that range.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: LR Deer/Elk Gun

My 270 WSM with 165 Matrix bullets works rather handy on deer and elk in that range and recoil isn't bad for the ballistics you get.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

If you dont want a brake then I agree with the above, use the 270WSM.

I use the 300WSM for those animals at that range and to get similar balistics as the 270, 165 Matrix bullets you will need 200+grain bullets in the 30 cal. Without a break that will recoil hard enough that you won't practice as often as you should to shoot at that range.

Not sure why you don't want a break but I would ask you to reconsider that restriction. WITH a break you can spot your own shots past 500yds as the recoil is reduced enough to get back on target prior to impact. This way you can make the corrections seeing where and how much you missed. Don't think your going to cold bore kill stuff at 800+ I don't care what you read, or how often you practice, it's just not reality even in professional sniper circles. Being able to spot our own bullet trace is invaluable IMO.

In conclusion What bigngreen said about the 270WSM if no break, or 30 cal with 210 bergers WITH break for those animals at that range.......

Just my opinion.

PS, I shoot both calibers.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
I am planning on building a LR range gun for hunting. I was leaning towards the 300win mag. But really don't want to put a break on the gun. I'm thinking of shooting to 800yrds. If I want to keep the recoil down what other caibers should I consider to pack enough puch to knock down an elk at that range.

Shoot the rifle A LOT...so you become more accustomed to the recoil...and even though its detrimental for carrying...a heavier gun kicks a LOT LESS than a light weight.

300's arent that bad but 338 calibers is where I have to "tuck her in tight" and grit my teeth....but then I dont get a lot of shooting with a 338 either
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

A cold bore good hit at whatever range you're comfortable with is what everybody should be striving for on game and 800+ is very doable.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves762 View Post
Don't think your going to cold bore kill stuff at 800+ I don't care what you read, or how often you practice, it's just not reality even in professional sniper circles.
I agree with most all of your post, but the above part, Well, I have to disagree with. Now conditions rule in any long range shot but given a set of good field conditions my success rate for first round kills is very high. If I feel the wind is too strong to do so I will pass. But this season alone, we have, with my rifle, taken 7 big game animals in the 800 yard area and farther. This also includes one at 802, 972, 1005 and 1285 yards. All this past season and all one shot cold bore kills that didn't require a follow up shot or any tracking. Practice and knowing when to pass is the key to a high percentage of one shot , cold bore kills .

By the way all these were with my 300 win and 215 Bergers and a side discharge brake.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

I was hoping to not add a brake because of the added noise. I have had hearing damage in the past and my ears ring very easily. Maybe I should consider using hearing protection no matter what I shoot and not worry about the caliber. The reason for less recoil is that I would like to have a gun that I can dial in and let my dad shoot without a huge punch.