Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lr caliber, which would you choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM

Re: Lr caliber, which would you choose?

I would choose the 300 rum. I am a custom rifle builder and have built many rums and they shoot great. It is an easy to load round and tunes very well to each rifle. I like the brass not having the mag rim on it. It fits real easy into a rem 700 with room to throat the barrel long and still use the magazine. Here's the real deal, you can always load it down some and get win mag performance and load it up when you need to. I would rather have enough now and not build another gun if the 7 is not enough. You can load the rum with 165's at 3000 to hunt whitetails and mule deer out to 4 or 500 yards or do 180's at 2900 for elk. These loads in a Sendero are not to hard on the shoulder even without a break. When you are ready to stoke it up you can do 208 A-maxs up to 3100, these will really reach out there and any of the Berger hunting vlds or hybrids will be just as good. The 7 mag is a great round also and is more than capable of taking large game, but the rum is going to out run it at longer ranges, have less wind drift, and carry more down range energy. My personal favorite is the 257 wby mag, but it only has the energy to take deer to about 500 yds. When I need more the rum is always ready. Shep

Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM

Thank's for the input guy's, even without all the info i should have put in the thread. Here is a little more info. My buddy is not recoil sensitive, i believe he is in the same class as a sasquatch as far as build and mentality, we reload for every everything that we shoot, this gun will be for both deer and elk, the max range i believe will be around 700-800 yds. and with more practice maybe stretch it out a bit more. Thank's again for all the input
Old 11-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Now you tell us your friend is a yeti? In that case go 300 RUM and shoot the 230 Berger.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

oh hell 510 am unbraked, 11lbs
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe