Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

LR Accubonds too good to be true?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

LR Accubonds too good to be true?

I was looking at the new Nosler Long Range Accubonds. They expand all the way down to 1,300 fps minimum terminal velocity and with the huge BCs, they should be impressive. In particular, the 30 cal, 210 grain looks amazing. Nosler lists the BC at 0.730, but since Nosler uses ICAO standards as opposed to standard metro conditions to establish their BCs, I have to multiply their published BC by 1.018 for use with my ballistics program. This results in a BC of 0.743!

Taking this a bit further, Iím thinking I can get that bullet moving around 3,100 fps when fired out of my 26Ē barrel 300 RUM. Assuming that 1,500 ft lbs is needed to kill elk and 1,000 ft lbs for deer, that gives effective ranges where I hunt (5,000 ft and above) of 1,550 yards for elk and 2,060 yards for deer. Iím definitely going to have to get a new range finder.

But then again, Iím having a hard time believing that BC which is right up there with the 300 grain SMK. Anybody got any inside info on this bullet and is it to be believed?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Bronze Member

Re: LR Accubonds too good to be true?

I wish they would make in a 140-150 grain 25 caliber, those are awesome BC's for the 30 cal.!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Only time will tell......
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

I personally have a hard time believing that the nosler bc's are going to be even close.
I think that like most manufacturers they are more focused on telling people what they think they want to hear rather than the truth in order to sell products.
But I guess we will see.....
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Cross reference the bullet your looking at with the comparable Berger and you'll get much closer to real life BC.

Accubond - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data

Target Bullets | Berger Bullets

My bet is the real G1 BC of the 210gr bullet is closer to 0.645
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Cross reference the bullet your looking at with the comparable Berger and you'll get much closer to real life BC.

Accubond - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data

Target Bullets | Berger Bullets

My bet is the real G1 BC of the 210gr bullet is closer to 0.645
And .645 would be quite good if the on impact performance is what we expect. It does bother me thou if Nosler is intentionally overstating the BC's to gain intro. attention. It does appear they overstate BC's more than anyone & I use their bullets more than any other, thou Horn. A-Maxes & V-Maxes are cutting into that. I would just prefer to see stated BC's by any company to be accurate.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

I believe that Nosler generates the BC's by a calculator which seems to always generate a high BC, no doubt though that Nosler uses that as a sales pitch. Berger's BC's, though I know at least some are (if not all) generated by rounds fired down range, using (I think) 2 Doppler radar units to track them.

To high light the difference between the 2 methods you can look at 168gr 7mm Matrix VLD and the static BC VS. the BC generated by Brian Litz using the Doppler method

Matrix advertised static BC (calc generated) 0.7136

Brians BC (rounds down range) 0.611 <-- this one is spot on I've tried these bullets
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe