Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #57  
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,124
Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

I haven't had a chance to kill one in a few years, because we don't hunt much in that county anymore, but I killed the first one with a 12ga slug. After that it was all rifles. Most fell from my first A-Bolt II 7Mag with Barnes TSX 160's. Before that it was my Model 7 custom .308 with Hornady TAP (red box LE) 168 HPBT's.

If one drops today it will be most likely my new A-Bolt II 7Mag with my Berger 180 handloads.

I have been curious to see what my .257 Wby Mag will do with my 115 Bergers, just out of curiosity.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,627
Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

a big Russian boar hog is nothing like a feral pig. They'll get close to 400lb. or more, and 300lb. ones are common. They will hurt you in a heart beat. I used a .444 Marlin for years, and other guys I know used everything from a basic 30-06 with 180 grain bullets to a 45-70. You want big cross section bullets that are built kinda tough. It's not so much the power as the diameter of the bullet. Making one mad will earn you a lot of stitches. But of course a 45 caliber magnum would be a gross overkill (even the .450 Marlin is overkill)
gary
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,124
Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
a big Russian boar hog is nothing like a feral pig. They'll get close to 400lb. or more, and 300lb. ones are common. They will hurt you in a heart beat. I used a .444 Marlin for years, and other guys I know used everything from a basic 30-06 with 180 grain bullets to a 45-70. You want big cross section bullets that are built kinda tough. It's not so much the power as the diameter of the bullet. Making one mad will earn you a lot of stitches. But of course a 45 caliber magnum would be a gross overkill (even the .450 Marlin is overkill)
gary
My dad's got an old .444 Marlin lever-action that he's had since I was a kid. Big thumpin SOB.

Based on the facts of the large cross-section bullets being successful, which is why the .44 Magnum has always been such a popular & successful hog hunting caliber. I know I've always had my S&W 629 on my side when I'm hog hunting. And it's always loaded with Hornady 300gr JHP's if I'm around hogs. Normally it's got 240 LeverEvolutions in it for any other scenario.

The .444 Marlin is about the best hog gun I can think of.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,627
Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
My dad's got an old .444 Marlin lever-action that he's had since I was a kid. Big thumpin SOB.

Based on the facts of the large cross-section bullets being successful, which is why the .44 Magnum has always been such a popular & successful hog hunting caliber. I know I've always had my S&W 629 on my side when I'm hog hunting. And it's always loaded with Hornady 300gr JHP's if I'm around hogs. Normally it's got 240 LeverEvolutions in it for any other scenario.

The .444 Marlin is about the best hog gun I can think of.
have never used the 240 grain bullet you speak of, but have used the others. They don't do well at the 2300fps velocities the .444 generates. The 265 grain bullets is a much better pick, and will drop a 350 lb. hog in his tracks. The .300 grain bullets are even better, but also generate a lot of recoil when loaded near max. I did have some 330 grain bullets and those things were a beast in that light of a rifle! (Corbon?) It's also not uncommon to see one shoot groups in the 1.20" range or less at 100 yards.

When I bought my .450 they also had a .444 Guide gun with the factory brake setting next to it. I've often wished I'd bought both rifles!
gary
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,124
Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

My bad....240's were JHP's.....225 were LeverEvolutions. Long week....
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 6,124
Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

Yeah, dad loves his Marlins like I love my Rem 700's.... He's had the 2 old Marlins for 20+ years, and the .30-30 since way before I was born. It's a 60's model, but in damn fine shape. The .444 is a 70's model. And fairly recently he bought a Marlin 1894SS .44 mag. I haven't shot it yet, and neither has he.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 517
Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

At the OP you make a decision yet on what you are going to get? I think we have recommended everything from .22 LR to .444 Marlin ;) Its good discussions though. I have personally killed a 100 pound hog with a .223. Probably not the best choice but that's all my buddies and I had when we were varmint hunting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC