Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

6.5 Creedmoor

Low Recoil-Check

Accurate-Check

Deer-129 gr SST- Check

Coyote- Check

500-600 yards- Check

Perfect!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Bronze Member

My wife has just got into hunting the last 2 years and at 57 with 3 herniated disk in her neck she has been shooting my 6.5x284 Ruger1 and it is too much recoil for her so we have decided to do an AR build on a 20" .264LBC-AR or 6.5 Grendel. Now with a good muzzle break, a hydraulic buffer, an adjustable gas block adjusted down low and a Simms Limb Saver recoil pad we have a light weight rifle with a 3.5x15x50 Nightforce Velocity reticle it is good out to 800yds and has plenty of kinetic energy to take any American game and no recoil hardly at all. It has worked well for us and she built the rifle herself so she has the satisfaction of it really being her rifle, built by her and can shoot it comfortably with plenty of confidence in what she is trying to shoot and a lot of pride in her weapon. It works for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM

I agree with the .257 Roberts. I've killed Every thing I have ever shot at with mine (Ruger M77 old school tang safety) (deer,elk,yotes,hogs,G. hogs) I shoot a 90 gr. Serria gameking hp. at 3220 fps. IT KICKS BUTT and NO RECOIL..
Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM

I have to agree with the .243 Winchester great gun and it will take down White tail deer without a problem and a coyote has no chance at all very little recoil and very flat shooting. I am a big fan of the .243 I have taken White tail and mule deer with mine many coyotes and lots of hogs it's just a great gun for any game deer size and smaller and it does not break your shoulder it you want to shoot a whole box of shells. Anyway that is just me and what I like, good luck to you and be safe out there.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockZ View Post
I wanted to get my daughter a rifle and chose a Browning BAR in .243. I was a bit hesitant about shooting big game with a 243...until I gave it a test run on a hog hunt.
I shot three hogs and all DRT. One was about 200lbs with a thick shield. I was shooting 95gr ballistic tips and they performed awesome.none blew up but just mushroomed nicely.. All shots 80-100yds.
The BAR is quite accurate with groups around .5" at 100yds.
You shot a200# lb hog with a thick shield with a 95 gr BY, and it mushroomed and blew through?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
You shot a200# lb hog with a thick shield with a 95 gr BY, and it mushroomed and blew through?
I was thinking that.....I've shot many a hog in my life, and never would I attempt to shoot one with a .243. Just simply my opinion. I've seen em get pissed off...You don't want a hurt and pissed off Russian Boar running at you.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I was thinking that.....I've shot many a hog in my life, and never would I attempt to shoot one with a .243. Just simply my opinion. I've seen em get pissed off...You don't want a hurt and pissed off Russian Boar running at you.
Let alone a 95 gr Ballistic Tip

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams