Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM

Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

The felt recoil of the Swede is almost impossible to tell apart from a .243.

The muzzle blast from a Swede will get you compliments for its lack of discomfort, compared to some bigger stuff.

Both rounds can do the job.

I have a friend that shoots Mulies in the South Saskatewan Badlands with a .243 - so do both of his sons. They've never lost one because of caliber, etc.

The longest shot I've killed a deer with was with a single shot .243 NEF - 386 lasered yards. The blood trail wasn't very long.

Every deer I've shot with the Swede fell in its tracks, but I rarely shoot at a deer that is moving.

Whichever choice you make, if she kills a deer with it - she owns the gun forever - ask my wife about her Winchester '94 Trapper . . .
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

I saw it mentioned and completely forgot about it, but 6.5 Grendel would be an exceptional choice.

I love my .257 Wby.....Sharp recoil, but not heavy recoil. It would also make a good rifle, but not in a lightweight setup, IMO.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The Howa or Vanguard are great choices for a factory rifle and good ones to build with. The 243 is a great cartridge but I have hunted deer with one and I would step up to a 25-06 or a 6.5.

Talk to me brother. My first & second hand experience with the 6mm's (quite a bit) on deer & 'lopes has been nothing short of high fives & back slaps.

What were your experiences?

t

Old 05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOCougs3006 View Post
Hey guys. I'm looking into several different calibers of rifle and am having trouble deciding on which one to go with. My fiancÚ is getting into hunting and she wants to go deer hunting. I only have a .30-06 and a .300 WM right now for her to use. I'm confident she could shoot the .30-06 fine, but with her being fairly new to shooting I want her to spend a lot of time at the range honing her skills and my 06 kicks pretty good to be putting lots of lead down range. The second part of this is I would really like a higher caliber coyote gun for longer range coyote hunts (500-600 yds). So I figured I could easily kill two birds with one stone here. And this way if she only hunts a year or two and decides she doesn't like it I still have my coyote gun. And by the way we are from eastern WA and will be hunting whitetails in the rolling hills of the Palouse. So after all of that here are some of the calibers I'm choosing between.

6.5x55 Swede (this was the caliber of my first rifle so I have a soft spot for it)

.25-06 (I am a huge .30-06 fan and I believe it to be about the best cartridge ever made, so sticking with the 06 family appeals to me)

.257 Wby
6.5x284
6.5 rem mag

Also, I do all of my own hand loading, but I would like to stick with a cartridge I could easily find brass for.

Anyone have any opinions on these calibers. Pros/Cons.... the good, the bad, the ugly.... any advice helps.
my first choice would be the .250 Savage improved, and the second would be the .257 Roberts.
gary
Old 05-31-2013, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

I don't see a bad choice in any of the calibers mentioned. Having owned several, I'm partial to the 7mm-08.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Talk to me brother. My first & second hand experience with the 6mm's (quite a bit) on deer & 'lopes has been nothing short of high fives & back slaps.

What were your experiences?

t
The first 2 deer I ever shot were with a 243 and the only deer I shot with a 243. In a tree stand back in PA, a 3x3 walks under me and I attempt a head shot with iron sights. Bullet goes down through side of head/jaw and neck. My fault, not the rifle. Lots of frothy blood at first and track him and another hunter gets on the track with me. He kicks him out of a stand of trees and gets a shot at him and gut shoots him with a 218 B. We track him some more to another stand of trees and I post on one end while he pushes from the other. The buck walks up with bloody tongue hanging out and stands broad side to me about 10 yards. I put one through the middle of his ribs and he runs off into a residential sub-divison. Lost him. Only animal I ever lost. Was not a good experience. 2 days later, I was in the same tree stand and a little spike walks under and gives me a broad side shot about 20 yards away. This time I put one through lungs and heart. He runs for about 30 yards and piles up. In both cases the deer both ran after being shot point blank through the lungs. I was using 100 gr Core Lokt bullets. Had I been using something like highly frangible Bergers it probably would have dropped them in their tracks.

I gave the 243 to my brother and bought a 7 Mag.

I would use a 243 or my new 6x284 for deer, but I would be careful about my shot and make sure he couldn't run anywhere i couldn't find him.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The first 2 deer I ever shot were with a 243 and the only deer I shot with a 243. In a tree stand back in PA, a 3x3 walks under me and I attempt a head shot with iron sights. Bullet goes down through side of head/jaw and neck. My fault, not the rifle. Lots of frothy blood at first and track him and another hunter gets on the track with me. He kicks him out of a stand of trees and gets a shot at him and gut shoots him with a 218 B. We track him some more to another stand of trees and I post on one end while he pushes from the other. The buck walks up with bloody tongue hanging out and stands broad side to me about 10 yards. I put one through the middle of his ribs and he runs off into a residential sub-divison. Lost him. Only animal I ever lost. Was not a good experience. 2 days later, I was in the same tree stand and a little spike walks under and gives me a broad side shot about 20 yards away. This time I put one through lungs and heart. He runs for about 30 yards and piles up. In both cases the deer both ran after being shot point blank through the lungs. I was using 100 gr Core Lokt bullets. Had I been using something like highly frangible Bergers it probably would have dropped them in their tracks.

I gave the 243 to my brother and bought a 7 Mag.

I would use a 243 or my new 6x284 for deer, but I would be careful about my shot and make sure he couldn't run anywhere i couldn't find him.
a 120 grain bullet out of a .257 Roberts will drop a 300lb. buck like a rock at 200 yards. Even the Nosler 100 grain BT will do just as well. Try 46.0 grains of AA4350 for 3000fps. That's 1130 ft.lb. of energy at 300 yards, and with a 200 yard zero the bullet drops 7" at 300 yards. Almost point blank. You can load the 100 grain bullet to about 3100fps, but what for? 40 grains of 4064 in the 250AI will give you about 3200fps with the same bullet. Have a little over 1300ft. lb. of energy at 300 yards and drop 6" with the same 200 yard zero point. That round has 1000ft. lb. of energy at 400 yards I might add.

My first hunting trip with a .257 Roberts brought out lots of laughs about my pipsqueak gun. But the first day I dropped a buck exactly where he stood. He was DOA before he hit the ground. The next day I dropped a 313 pounder at just under 200 yards like a rock. He also was doa on the way to the ground. The next year everybody but two guys had the .257, and had forsaken their trusty 30-06. Makes a fine coyote rig as well I might add. We set out the gut piles on two different days and banged dogs over them at 350+ yards.
gary