Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Low recoil rifle for whitetails and coyotes. Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Since you like the 06 family, the 6.5-06 would be another good choice. A lot of good 6.5 cartridges out there that would fit your needs. Also the 7-08.

I would probably choose the 6.5x284. It's a great cartridge and great Lapua brass available.

Pretty much the same. I don't think the 6.5-06 gets the respect it deserves. I would stick with either 6mm or 6.5 for the young lady, great bullet selection & reduced recoil from the 7mm & 30cal variants.

t

Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Another vote for the 6.5x55. It's been around for 122 years (longer than the. 30-06) and one of the best designed cartidge out there. I started both my boys with a 1894 carbine for hunting at age 10.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all of the great info guys. I totally forgot to put the .243 in there. I have been considering that as well. I do like the idea of the 6.5 calibers because of the heavier bullet choices for whitetails. I have to admit I really am leaning toward the 6.5x55 because I really regret selling my old one (but when you are 14 and scrounging together $ to buy a big boy gun '.30-06' you don't consider sentimental things). And all 4 deer I killed with my swede where one shot kills. The other thing swaying me back toward the.243, .25-06 or the .257 Roy is that my initial idea was to start with a stock Weatherby Vanguard and then add/exchange components (trigger, stock, barrel, etc.) as funds become available and these are the only available calibers. Howa does make the 6.5x55 in there 1500... so again that is appealing to me.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

I think the best choice went unmentioned. I'm going to build a 6.5x47 Lapua for myself.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

.243 is gonna be hard to beat for low recoil and are faiGrendely to find a good accurate load. I have killed more deer than I care to count w/ this caliber and never had trouble with not enough gun. It might be the outside edge for deer but a well place shot at 400-500 yds is still pretty devastating.

You could always use this as a good excuse to get a 6.5 grendel, mine shoots like a .223
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Id have to vote for the 243 with a top notch scope on top. If she cant hit it right on and kill it with that rig..she wont do it with any
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

The Howa or Vanguard are great choices for a factory rifle and good ones to build with. The 243 is a great cartridge but I have hunted deer with one and I would step up to a 25-06 or a 6.5.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams