Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Lothar Walther barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Bronze Member

Lothar Walther barrels

I build my own rifles and was thinking about using a Lothar Walther barrel for my next 308. Has anyone had any experience chambering one? Iíve heard their stainless is very hard. I was also curious how they performed? I usually use hart barrels and they always performed well, but thought I would try something new unless convinced otherwise.

Thanks, Glen
Old 03-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lothar Walther barrels

Heatseekin,

If your going to rebarrel for a .308 I'd recommend a Mike Rock barrel (Rock Creek Barrels) and be done with it. For .308 IMHO and many others there the best you can get.

I really haven't found a bullet that won't shoot in mine. We tried some 170 gr round nose 30-30 bullets last fall and they even shot in the mid .3's at 100 yards.

They really are one of the best .308 barrels made.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 03-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

I've shot 2 Walther barrels. Not anything to get excited about. They shoot well and all but are not my personal pick. And I'm fairly picky. There were a handful of service rifle shooters using them when I shot. I was never seeing super groups from those guns. They'd beat me, but then they shoot all day for 6 months out of the year and should be able to beat me with a daisy...

I would certainly not drop Hart just to play with Walther. The cost of the tubes leads me to believe they just cannot be the best out there.

OTOH, I dont' think they will ever be a bad barrel. Just not top notch.

I just about forgot about the 6.5 Grendel.-- Have shot one of those with a Walther. It shot really good but I didn't get to shoot it enough to know exactly how well. But first impressions where that barrel would win matches in Highpower anyway.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

Glen,

One smith you should get a hold of is Jeff Hicks from HD Rifles in Del Rio, Texas..He uses L-W barrels exclusively, and might have the skinny on the do's and do not's on chambering the LW barrel steel..Speeds and feeds and such..Haven't chambered one myself, just heard they are hard on reamers, but that could just be a case of having to change your method a bit for the different type steel..

JR
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

here is a site that builds target rifles in England using walther barrels they have barrels for sale and will probably give specs.www.hps-tr.com
Old 03-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not certain but pretty sure that their SS isin't the run of the mill 416 that most all barrel makers use , I believe that they use 17-4 which is alot harder and resist throat erosion better.
I know that they amde the Accu-Max barrels for Black Star because they were the best at dealing with the 17-4SS that the Accu-Max tubes were made of.

As for their quality , I have one BlackStar Accu-max barrel and it'll shoot into the .3" range pretty consistantly,and the life is definalty better than any other SS barrel I've ever had chambered in 22-250Ai.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone. I talked to mike rock for quite some time and ordered a barrel from him. I will also be testing out one of his new SOPMOD bipods, so I will post my thoughts about it after I test it for a while. The best part was.....he had the barrel I wanted ready to ship. I was very pleased that I donít have to wait for 2 months