Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

I think he has chambered 100's of their barrels and simply doesn't like them. I also don't think he is the only one who doesn't like them. But if you want to know the real story, you should probably ask him.
Just finished a Lothar Walther barrel
Old 11-14-2013, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
I think he has chambered 100's of their barrels and simply doesn't like them. I also don't think he is the only one who doesn't like them. But if you want to know the real story, you should probably ask him.
Just finished a Lothar Walther barrel
Things become more and more strange in this thread. > He simply doesn't like them<, what kind of childish explanation should that represent? And what's the reason for his unlogical and offending statement? Is it because it's a foreign product or in addition a foreign (German) product made of high - quality steel he can't handle? I wouldn't buy anything from him. People who are so little self - reflected shouldn't practise in any kind of (sales) buisness.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Things become more and more strange in this thread. > He simply doesn't like them<, what kind of childish explanation should that represent? And what's the reason for his unlogical and offending statement? Is it because it's a foreign product or in addition a foreign (German) product made of high - quality steel he can't handle? I wouldn't buy anything from him. People who are so little self - reflected shouldn't practise in any kind of (sales) buisness.
Did you read Chad's post on why he does not like them linked in the thread!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
If you read the thread at that link I posted, you will be stepping on your lip for a week. I re-read it and saw I wasn't totally correct when I said he didn't like them. He recommended them for tomato stakes.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
If you read the thread at that link I posted, you will be stepping on your lip for a week.
I made a (big) mistake by not reading the link, I must admit that! But I was already fed up when I had to read the other statesments and quotes before.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I agree! To note that the material is harder to machine is OK but to make such a bold statement/recommendation not to use it is another story.

Obviously, other gunsmith/rifle builders are not having the same problem, checkout this thread from another forum >>> Lothar Walther barrels, esp. #14.
I've worked with many forms of stainless steel in the past, plus about every form of 4xxx steel they sell. Add to that much of the air hardening catalog. With the exception of Ferritic and Graphmo, Hestalloy, and Waspalloy, these are about as tough to machine as you normally encounter. I think MAR-10 machines slightly better than 17ph-4 because the chips come off the metal easier, and all the heat seems to end up in the chip. None of these steels like light cuts. The insert you use is the trick, and the metal dosn't like you to push the metal off the surface. It wants you to cut it off. Cutting processes are closely guarded, and even the coolants used are secretive. Now I can't remember billing figures for 17ph-4 or 18-5, but MAR-10 is very expensive steel. Last time I bought two rounds of it (5" x 72") I paid $6500! The advantages of 17ph-4 and 18-5 (have not worked enough with 15-5 to base an opinion) are that it's about 99.9% corrosion resistent. Seems to handle heat better than the typical 410 / 416 / 420 / 440c SS steels. Plus the are far less prone to stress cracking. They do not rust in de ionized water, while the other four will be coated with rust in less than a week.

To machine these steels, the spindle group needs to be over built. They will ruin a set of Bridgeport bearings in less than a week. In a lathe, they are about all the average Okuma can handle (the larger models do much better). A Monarch hydraulic will cut them very well if you keep the chips from stringing. Machine operators hate the stuff, because they are always getting burnt. (you,ve had no fun till a large chip lands in your lap!!!!) They are a real pain to grind, but seem to hone well with diamond stones. Dosn't like to be gun drilled! I never did quite figure out a good grind for the drills, and you need much more coolant pressure that with regular steels. EDM processes are easy with the stuff.

But as negative as I posted about these exotic stainless steels, they are easy when compared to Hestalloy!!!! That stuff is a constant learning curve. The scrap rate is always high.
gary

with the exception of MAR-10 (the samething as 17ph-4 but in pre treat form), the real issue with them is that they are so tough to machine. Probably due to a much higher nickel content. Mar-10 comes it at about 30RC, and don't remember the others being that hard.

Last edited by Trickymissfit; 11-14-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: data
Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Bronze Member

You have the Finest Barrel Makers in the World on your Doorstep, do not compromise by getting a LW. The reason they are popular in Europe is they are readily available, unlike American made Barrels.

Getting a Barrel out of the States is not easy, it needs Export Licenses. You have long waiting times and they are Expensive when Import Taxes are added.
I have a LW Bench Programme Barrel on my Borden Actioned 25-06 AI and it is a Dog, my Smith hated machining it too.

If Bartleins were readily available here i doubt LW would sell a Barrel.

Brit.