Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Here is a quote from Chad Dixon.
Who's Chad Dixon?
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Gold Member

He is a Gunsmith and rifle maker. His company name is Long Rifles Inc..
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member

Was he commenting on the quality/accuracy or the fact that LW uses harder steel and will ruin tools if not smithed correctly?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohunter View Post
Was he commenting on the quality/accuracy or the fact that LW uses harder steel and will ruin tools if not smithed correctly?
I think he doesn't like the way it machines. I can remember other times he has been critical of them. I believe he once worked for a company that used them.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think he doesn't like the way it machines. I can remember other times he has been critical of them. I believe he once worked for a company that used them.
I don't remember exactly, but Walter either used 17PH-4 rearc melt stainless steel or 18-5 rearc melt. Neither one is fun to machine, and takes a pretty good machine to do it right. Plus the tooling is a bitch on a good day. MAR-10 is pretty much the samething as 17ph-4, and this stuff is extremely tough to work with. On the otherhand they don't have all the issues that 416 has.
gary
Old 11-14-2013, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

Things I'm reading here about LW barrels make me at least wonder. It sounds quite strange to me when a (credited) smith is negatively positioned towards brilliant steel quality. Just because he has problems working with it properly. Normally it should be the other way round, shouldn't it? Here in Norway custom gunmakers use mostly two types of barrels and one is for sure LW because of its outstanding quality for reasonable prices. Don't forget, every year a couple of shooting contests are won by shooters using LW bbl', that much has to be said due to credibility!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
Things I'm reading here about LW barrels make me at least wonder. It sounds quite strange to me when a (credited) smith is negatively positioned towards brilliant steel quality. Just because he has problems working with it properly. Normally it should be the other way round, shouldn't it? Here in Norway custom gunmakers use mostly two types of barrels and one is for sure LW because of its outstanding quality for reasonable prices. Don't forget, every year a couple of shooting contests are won by shooters using LW bbl', that much has to be said due to credibility!
I agree! To note that the material is harder to machine is OK but to make such a bold statement/recommendation not to use it is another story.

Quote:
Quote:
Here is a quote from Chad Dixon.
Quote:
Barrels manufactured by Lothar Walther will not be used under any circumstance.
Obviously, other gunsmith/rifle builders are not having the same problem, checkout this thread from another forum >>> Lothar Walther barrels, esp. #14.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.