Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

I haven't been able to find any recent comments on LW barrels. I have found mixed reviews that are 5yrs+ ago. Has anyone had any recent experiences they would like to share? thanks.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lothar Walther barrel reviews?

I only know about Walther barrels from the European point of view. If we're going to customize guns we use primarily Lothar Walther. First class quality in molychrome and stainless, most contours and lengths. A lot of championships were won with these barrels, also currently. Surely no mistake if one of Walther's is going to be yours. Have you visited their website?
Old 11-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Silver Member

I have been to their website. I just haven't read enough for me to make a sound investment in their barrels. This is going to be a 308 that I hope to be a one holer (or close). So far I haven't read anything impressive about these barrels and Im begining to veer away from the thought, but I don't want to give up on them just yet.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

I've owned three and they were all top notch. Very accurate, super smooth, and easy to clean. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeon View Post
I've owned three and they were all top notch. Very accurate, super smooth, and easy to clean. You won't be disappointed.
+! Nothing to add.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I currently own a 28" SS Lothar barrel. It is a very good barrel. I have produced many groups that measured between .116 (smallest at 100 yards.) and a 1.5" group at 718yds. I have head shots on ground hogs at 632 and most recently 683yds. I shot 10" group with an untested load at 1050yds. I started hitting steel and was just jazzed I kept hitting it. I then measured it later and measured around 10 inches. It's been a very good barrel. I was going to set it up and try my hand at f-class but life happened. Hope this helps your decision. It is on a model12 savage vlp action.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a quote from Chad Dixon.

Quote:
Barrels manufactured by Lothar Walther will not be used under any circumstance.