Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lost River Ballistics for Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Lost River Ballistics for Hunting

So far all of the discussions on LRB have been for punching paper. I'm looking for a great hunting bullet out to 1000 yrds in my 300WM. Cost aside, the J36 .308-180 gr seem to fit the bill, i.e. designed for both good ballistics and good terminal performance. It appears that lot's of folks here use match grade bullets for their hunting application, but I'm hunting elk and worry about the performance against hide and bone. Any thoughts on these or other bullets that fit the bill.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lost River Ballistics for Hunting

As far as I can see, they resemble some Barnes solids I tested a while back. I'd use these for killing most anything, but the match bullets that "will" expand are a much better choice at LR IMHO, most will all pass through anyway because of the low terminal velocity, the solids will still make a hole though so the bigger the caliber the better because they won't be expanding any bigger for sure. Good luck with accuracy, I've not heard the overwelming majority give them a big thumbs up and alot quite the opposite... not to mention the rapid fouling I've heard about too. I'll try some down the road for kicks and giggles but they're not a priority anymore. The J36 hunting bullet would be a much better bullet I'd think, but even it seem over built for expansion at lower velocities. A good reliable shortrange/longrange combination bullet though, as I consider all the new sleek bonded bullets. Just my 2 cents FWIW.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lost River Ballistics for Hunting

I would suggest you talk to Warren on that one.