Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Lost River Ballistic Tech Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2002, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Lost River Ballistic Tech Bullets

I would not use a J40 ror hunting because it is a target bullet and does not expand. I would leave that up to the J36. Unless you want super long range accuracy and don't care if it expands.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

I will shoot with the 220 grain J40, but I'm going to hunt with the J36. You guys should look at their website and read up on them.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Who told you that they don't expand, that was the whole point of the J36 to begin with is to expand at close to super long ranges. I used those J40's the other day and my dad made multiple shots though the same hole. When i tried it my shots looked like that of a shot gun because I let the barrel get too hot. I have yet to try them again.
Old 06-18-2002, 03:08 PM

NH: here is a very informative link to terminal performance of hunting bullets http://www.mindspring.com/~ulfhere/b...ds.html#solids

the author emphasizes to shoot the solids at low speed to prevent shearing of the petals.
Something that defeits my purpose of choosing them over N Partitions for instance.
The wound channel is depicted as very narrow as virtually no expansion takes place,even worse when the petals are off.
I am not sure how these graphs compare to wound channels in live meat,as cavitation is supposed to cause a lot of action-I said supposed to.I ead of a very dissatisfied shot on Saeeds forum

sheephunter
Old 06-18-2002, 03:15 PM

NH: here is the copied note from actual experience at saeeds forum:

"
posted 02-09-2002 10:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was shooting a LRT 140grn out of my 280AI at 3150fps. I shot a mule deer at 340 yards, in the chest. The bullet went completely through the length of the deer and exited above the tail. The deer was still standing, so I put another round threw the lungs which put him down but not dead. Dressing the deer out, it was apparent that the bullets did not expand. Maybe I did not have enough velocity. To bad, this bullet was the most accurate bullet I have ever fired in this gun and was so flat shooting it compared to a 300 magnum.
"

sheephunter