Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

looking for suggestions on new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Bronze Member

looking for suggestions on new gun

I am looking to buy a new long range hunting gun and would like some input from folks. I am going to use it to hunt bear, deer and hopefully elk at some point.

I was thinking about a 300 WM or 300 WBY and was looking at a Weatherby Mark V Accumark but after checking out some posts here I thought it would be good to seek some advice as there maybe a better choice out there.

I reload so I have the ability to work up some loads so I am open to other calibers as well. I plan on putting a 3 -12 or 15 scope on most likely Leupold.

What do folks think???

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Bob
Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: looking for suggestions on new gun

get a Savage gun, 300 mag is a great cartridge. don't get a Leupold scope! lol
Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with Dave on the Savage, but the Mark V Weatherby is a great starting platform. They are very strong actions and will work well with the magnum calibers. But... so will the Savage. There are some great offerings out there. I would stick with the 300WM. Because you reload, you will be able to get some great performance. With Berger's new offerings of 200, 215, and 230 grain bullets will really optimize its ability. You get a little more diverse offerings in brass as well.

There is nothing wrong with Leupy's, but might want to take a look at Vortex Viper PST, HS models, Sightron SIII, and Night Force. Weaver is really coming in to its own with some of their new scope offerings. If you get the Weatherby, take it to a good gunsmith and get the trigger work done. Depending on the stock you may want to get it bedded.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

a weatherby accumark or a remington sendero. leupold scope. 6.5-20.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

I'll second roninflag. The savages do shoot good but to me they are kinda like a club, hate the tang saftey. The Mark V action is very smooth and love the short lift. I like the sendero and built my edge on one after the barrel was toast. The lupy has way more travel then the viper pst, 65 moa compared to 90 moa, the viper does have a better reticle though and both are around the same price.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Wby Mark 5 or Accumark, Leupold 4.5-14 A/O, or higher power 1 st choice.
However the Vanguard S2 sub MOA is priced well, has an adjustable trigger, & is an Excelent choice for 300 win.
Again top it off with a Leupold. You can pick a Leupy VX-III up at a yard sale, send it to the custom shop for any upgrade you need to fit your shooting style, & the warranty is still 100% even if your not the origional owner. Quality glass, & great solid company, that honors thier product.

I'm a Winchester & Leupold freak, but I'm also a Weatherby fan, so I'd jump on the Vanguard S 2 sub, moa in a heartbeat, if your going for the 300 Win.
Both the 300 Wby, & 300 Win are great L/R cartriges. Both are very capable, & each has its own advantage. The good news is you can't go wrong with your choice. Bad news is you gotta choose.
Dont scrimp on guns & glass.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

I'd look hard at the Savage LRH if your looking at long range work. I have both, a Weatherby Mark V and the LRH. The Savage may not have the finish of the Weatherby, but it is a solid rifle that has a better trigger, adjustable stock, heavier barrel, and a brake. I like the accuracy of my Savage. I'm still trying to get sub MOA out of my Weatherby. If you go with a Leupold, I'd go for a Mk4.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt