Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Looking for options for a barrel block bedding system.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Looking for options for a barrel block bedding system.

To all,

I am finally getting around to building my personal extreme range rifle. This rifle will be used for 1500-2000 yard shooting.

The rifle will wear a very long and heavy Lilja barrel in .338" with a 1-10" twist for the great 300 gr .338" Sierra Matchking.

Because of the length(34") and weight(1.350" straight cylinder) of the barrel. I will be using a barrel block bedding system but have not decided which one yet.

THe stock I will be using is a McMillan MBR Tooley 1000 yard BR stock so there will be plenty of room for a substantial barrel bedding block.

My question for you is what are the different designs of barrel block bedding systems do you use?

All ideas are of interest to me and please give details. Please remember this hsa to be a rock solid bedding system to not only handle the weight of the barrel, but also the recoil of the 338 Kahn(338-378 w/ 35 degree conventional shoulder).

Thanks for your ideas!

Good Shooting!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Looking for options for a barrel block bedding system.

I've built three longrangers for friends along the lines that you are going. A .338-416 Rigby Imp (same as your choice but NO BELT), a 300 Ultramag and a 416 Chey-Tac.
All of them had 1.45" dia. Lilja barrels and the alum blocks were made two-piece, top and bottom and were in HBRs from McMillan. The barrel blocks were 11" and 12" long, depending on action length. I've done several more but the big alum block was dropped into an aluminum stock instead of an HBR. One of these shot a 4.9", 10 shot group at Missoula, last Sunday, 6.5-284 caliber.
Drop me an email if you want more info on block options.

Jay, Idaho jmcmunn@imbris.net
Old 05-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

HI 50,
Here is my suggestion.
I would go with a one piece clamp on block, 9" long which would give more then enough gripping power.Clamp on blocks are well worth the extra cost when it comes time to re-barrel here are some pixs of a block I recently made for a 7mm short mag.(1.250 dia.) I can also make a 1.350.I charge 200.00 per block. Block includes 4 pillars for bedding

block sit on 4 alluminum pillars with a full bed of devcon alluminum putty and an inch and a half of alluminum putty behind recoil area.By the way the 7mm is a tac driver [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I hope you can use this information.And if you have any questions drop me an e-mail dagleyfamily@westriv.com.
308nate [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2004, 06:42 AM
Bronze Member

308 Nate,

Youse got a website? I cannae believe a Nodak would be capable of such quality...Nice...

We just built a tooley MBR w mauser type action.. made the barrel block as it was taking a 42" heavy profiled barrel, in 6.5 x 300 wby, free floated action...but hey, you could save me some time..

(I might get a dealer discount if he doesn't find out I'm from south dakota...shhhhh)

hahah...

JR
Old 05-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

I have a 34" 1.450 lilja with a brake on this one with out a barrel block 10x2" bat action will handle the waight.

But if you need a block I would go with a 9" glue in
Bear block
Crow Mag
Old 05-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Crow Mag,

The BAT is truely a huge receiver the is ment for such jobs. If you do not mind me asking, where did you order it from and what did it cost?

Thanks for the information

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Not trying to speak for Crow Mag but you can check out the home of the Bat action by going to http://www.batactions.com/ Price will vary depending on the amount of bells and whistles. Nice guys and great actions!