Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Looking for a new Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Looking for a new Rifle

Consider this rifle:
Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC
Its a model 110 in 6.5x284 with a 24" fluted barrel. $738 shipped to your FFL and they are in stock.

I personally want a stainless action and a 26"+ barrel but that adds a lot to the up front cost. The 110 is the long action version of the model 10 and I have the impression it has not been cheapened up the way Savage has done with the model 11 and some of the others. I currently have a model 10, a model 12 and a second 12 on the way in 308.

The 6.5x284 is a very effective long range round and good for all the game you intend to hunt for. There are very good bullets for it too, but ideally you would reload. You can get factory ammo but it is not inexpensive. 130 or 140gr Berger hunting bullets with the right load will have you smiling... Recoil is modest. The barrel will not last forever, so its not a gun for "blasting".
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vette View Post

Search Gunbroker and you can find other 270 rifles with muzzle brake:

Remington model 700, 270 : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com
+1. It's hunt ready and within your price range -- just some rough est. breakdown ...

$150 - est. cost for muzzle brake and installation installed
+$150
- est. cost of Scope
$300
+$205 - est. cost of rifle only
$505 cost of entire set-up (+ shipping/ins and FFL xfr fee)

Use 150gr Berger VLD from HSM (http://thehuntingshack.com/catalog/r...roductList.pdf) with MV=3048 FPS and ME=3095 FT-LB and you're set.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 04-29-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Elk are BIG animals! Forget the .223 and the .308. Although either could kill an animal, neither is close to an optimal elk cartridge.

cartridges to consider:
.270 Win or preferably WSM
6.5x284,
264 Win mag
7 mm Rem (or Weatherby)
.300 WSM
.300 Win (or Weatherby)
.338 Win mag
.340 Weatherby

I suspect the 7 MM Rem mag is the most used elk cartridge based on how many hunters I've met who cary that cartridge although I think the .300 Win mag is a much better elk cartridge, and it's what I consider the minimum I will recommend for elk. The .300 and .338 magnums are your best "all round" elk cartridges. For jump-shooting elk in the timber I like my .375 H&H or my .338/.378 as bullet placement is less critical.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
Richard

The two Savage models you mentioned are NOT the rifle to which I was referring Ė for one thing they donít have muzzle brakes and come with cheapie premounted scopes. Check Savages firearms list on their website to see the 111 Long Range Hunter. (For a few hundred more, you can get it in 338 Lapua if you want to really go big.) The 300 WSM is also nice if you want to go with a slightly shorter action/rifle.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LONGRANGEHUNTER

Since you are in Montana, Iíve assumed that you could end up with some longer shooting opportunities than would typically be found in many other states. So for you, the ďdecent scopeĒ I was thinking of was more of a 6X24 power, 30 mm tube, tactical type that would be suitable for long range shooting.

The scopes that come premounted on the rifles you mentioned would not be of suitable quality or power in my opinion. If on the other hand you just want to jump shoot deer with no dial up for long range shooting, a 3X9 power would be fine. Personally I donít tend to shoot game anymore when they are moving so a 6 power scope on the low end is not a problem for me but it could be too much under certain conditions. A decent scope would be like a Vortex Viper PST, Sightron III, Bushell 6500 Elite (I like their 4.5X to 30X), Leupold Mark IV which can be had for $800 and up. I think you need at least 20 power on the high end. Since you said that you are not made of money (I'm not either), I wonít mention the new Nightforce ATACR 5X25 other than to say it is really nice and really expensive. A guy I met at the range the other day had one. He let me play with it a bit. I have to say that yes, I was jealous.
Thanks for all the info but, the Rifle $1020.00 + Scope $1049.00 is way out of my league. maybe I shouldn't pursue this activity. What with my medical condition I am not sure I can qualify making that type of investment for something I am unsure of how much or how well I will be able to participate.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
+1. It's hunt ready and within your price range -- just some rough est. breakdown ...

$150 - est. cost for muzzle brake and installation installed
+$150 - est. cost of Scope
$300
+$205 - est. cost of rifle only
$505 cost of entire set-up (+ shipping/ins and FFL xfr fee)

Use 150gr Berger VLD from HSM (http://thehuntingshack.com/catalog/r...roductList.pdf) with MV=3048 FPS and ME=3095 FT-LB and you're set.
Now your recommendation is a bit more reasonable for me personally.
Thank you for the info, when I get this NICS thing cleared up I can think about going to GunBroker.com or perhaps find a similar deal locally.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
Elk are BIG animals! Forget the .223 and the .308. Although either could kill an animal, neither is close to an optimal elk cartridge.

cartridges to consider:
.270 Win or preferably WSM
6.5x284,
264 Win mag
7 mm Rem (or Weatherby)
.300 WSM
.300 Win (or Weatherby)
.338 Win mag
.340 Weatherby

I suspect the 7 MM Rem mag is the most used elk cartridge based on how many hunters I've met who cary that cartridge although I think the .300 Win mag is a much better elk cartridge, and it's what I consider the minimum I will recommend for elk. The .300 and .338 magnums are your best "all round" elk cartridges. For jump-shooting elk in the timber I like my .375 H&H or my .338/.378 as bullet placement is less critical.
I lived in Colorado for 35 years. I've hunted Elk many times and with many people. Most common cartridge was probably the 300 Win Mag. Next was 30-06, then you have all the others. Personally I've taken most of my Elk with my 300 Win Mag's. But have also taken with 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 444 Marlin and even a 243. The 243 was a fluke though, it was a very close shot (less than 100 Yds) and I was deer hunting at the time.
For the OP a 270 with muzzle brake should suffice with care taken as to shot placement and distance.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buano View Post
A 308 shoots the same bullets as any 300 Magnum, just a little slower. Guys are taking elk with 7mm and 308 bullets down to 1800 fps. That's what they do in Long Range Hunting. With the right load a 308 can send a 208 A-Max 900 yds down range above 1800 fps and 1500 ftlbs of energy. Same story with the 7-08.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams