Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Looking for Muzzle Brake Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Looking for Muzzle Brake Suggestions

I am looking for a muzzle brake for my Browning A-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 7MM. I like the gun, the recoil isn't bad but it kicks enough that I lose the sight picture.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Brands or styles to look at and also those to avoid?

It has been suggested that I go with an adjustable style, such as a QUE Adjustable Muzzle Brake ($190) or a Badger Ordnance FTE Removable Muzzle Brake ($135 but needs bored by a gunsmith, so prob closer to $200). These seem convenient and can be used between multiple rifles, but that isn't really an issue. I only have one long range rifle set up and only anticipate to use this rifle for a long time.

I have also seen the great reviews about Center Shot Rifles' Muscle Brakes. At $210 installed, that seems like an excellent option. But then I am looking at closer to $300 after shipping both ways.

Thanks for any input.

P.S. If anyone knows of a gunsmith near Grand Junction, CO that does good work, then I will definately purchase the Muscle Brake.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for Muzzle Brake Suggestions

3 port Muscle brake. Jims newest creation would probably work just as well or better tho. He's got one now chats bigger than the mini, & smaller than the big ones.
His handle here on LRH is "coyboy". Fling him a p.m. he's super nice, & doesn't pressure anyone. I got the mini for my shortmag.

You can always order the brake, or have your local (& preferably reputable) smith install it as per Jims instructions. That's what I did.

Your on the right track. Keep goin the direction your headed, & you won't be disappointed.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Ray Montgomery of Grand Junction did an outstanding rebarrel job on a rifle for me. Was recommended by Dan Lilja.

HTH
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

Or you can use one of mine for 45.00 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Looking for Muzzle Brake Suggestions-muzzle-brake-pics-004-small.jpg   Looking for Muzzle Brake Suggestions-muzzle-brake-pics-005-small.jpg  

Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

I use both the dlask and vais---been happy with both. And for the same reasons as you----not too worried about recoil but it's nice to call your shots. I hunt alot by myself so no spotter.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 07-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Suggest a gill style, as has been suggested by many here. I have used a Holland and a couple no namer brakes.

Ask questions of the no name suppliers as some use non-standard threads which causes some headaches. The quality may be there, just understand what you are getting.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Bronze Member

I have a Vais on a 300 WSM. It works very well too.