Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Looking into new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

Looking into new rifle

Figured, I'd make my first post a good one. I am looking into putting together a new long-range rifle for hunting and some paper punching. Here are my thoughts...

1. Purchase a Savage action.
2. Purchase a Pac Nor Barrel in .300 win mag
3. Purchase a Bell and Carlson or comparable stock
4. Have a buddy put it all together for me.

My questions is can I do this with little smithing cost for under $1000.00? If I can, would you guys recommend something else. This gun will be primarily used for deer hunting but will occasionally take a trip out west. What do you guys think?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Looking into new rifle

Ive heard a few people complain about pac nor barrels not living up to their hype, but Ive never owned or shot one, so take that with a grain of salt.

As far as the minimal smith cost, I'm not really following that question. If your wanting a custom rifle, I would think it a blueprint of the action, chambering and cutting to lenght by a competant smith would be a must.

For my money, a custom better shoot as good as it looks, otherwise the factory gun wins. Good work isnt cheap, and cheap work isnt good.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Savage makes good actions. Several to choose from.
Pac-nor makes good barrels. Many options to choose from
B&C makes good stocks. Many options to choose from
Is you buddy a decent gunsmith? Does he work for decent rates?

Who is going to choose the weight, barrel contour, barrel length, twist, throat, crown, length of pull, stock design, scope mount, trigger, etc?

By the time the rifle is complete I'd expect it to be close to $1000, maybe a little less or a lot more depending on what you want.

If you let someone else make those choices the rifle will probably be just right ... for them.

Before you acquire the rifle of your dreams it's best to do some carefully thought out dreaming.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 03-20-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

Why not just buy a Rem Sendero for the same money you will have in your build. They are great shooters for the price.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Bronze Member

I want to keep it around 8 lbs.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Why not just buy a Rem Sendero for the same money you will have in your build. They are great shooters for the price.
i like mine.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

You shouldn't have to pay a lot for someone to assmble a Savage. In fact, you should pretty much be able to do it yourself.

As LouBoyd put it, there are a lot of decisions to make that can have a big impact on the outcome.

None of the good barrel makers ever have the exact barrel I need on hand. They're always the wrong length, or twist, or profile which is why there's usually a 6 month backlog and the ones that are in stock are ones that nobody wants for those same reasons (not always, but frequently).

For $1k or less, I'm with the other guys. You should look at Rem Sendero and/or Savage Long Range Hunter amongst other factory performers.

-- richard