Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long Range thick skin bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

re: Long Range thick skin bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
Attachment 25690

I thought the OTM was the tactical. If I have this wrong let me know, it will change what I am doing...
The OTM is the tactical. Broz used the 215 Hybrid Target bullet for last year's hunting.

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The OTM is the tactical. Broz used the 215 Hybrid Target bullet for last year's hunting.

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid
If memory serves me correctly, and sometimes doesn't anymore, I thought the word on the street was that the OTM's were more difficult to expand than the Hybrids? Can someone help me here? I haven't tested the OTM's...........Rich
Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

I've seen multiple kills with the 300 OTM and 230 OTM and they open, even a very light hit on a goat at 900+ got the big 300 open, not a lot but it opened, on heavier game there opening very well!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
If memory serves me correctly, and sometimes doesn't anymore, I thought the word on the street was that the OTM's were more difficult to expand than the Hybrids? Can someone help me here? I haven't tested the OTM's...........Rich
Could be true... I don't know

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
My understanding is that OTM = Tactical and that this is a hybrid ogive bullet (look at my crappy sideways pic on last page. Box says "OTM Tactical Hybrid"). From what I have read, they have a thicker jacket and thus conceptually don't open as well. If my memory serves, Bryan Litz posted on this sight explaining the difference (the jacket thickness increase is minor, but strength/toughness is cubed?). For hunting they recommend the Elite Hunter in its place...

That said, there are lots of threads on this site making the case that the OTM gets it done on big game. Some very credible, some maybe less so...

I have no on-game experience (yet)
Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
My understanding is that OTM = Tactical and that this is a hybrid ogive bullet (look at my crappy sideways pic on last page. Box says "OTM Tactical Hybrid"). From what I have read, they have a thicker jacket and thus conceptually don't open as well. If my memory serves, Bryan Litz posted on this sight explaining the difference (the jacket thickness increase is minor, but strength/toughness is cubed?). For hunting they recommend the Elite Hunter in its place...

That said, there are lots of threads on this site making the case that the OTM gets it done on big game. Some very credible, some maybe less so...

I have no on-game experience (yet)
My bad, it was Eric at Berger who commented. Please see post #29. Pics of Berger Bullets NOT Performing????
Old 09-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

like was said in a few of the past posts. You cant judge a bullet by one experience. One of the pictures back a few posts was a deer spined. Hit a deer in the spine with about any fast bullet and its going to do some real serious damage. Ive never killed a thing with a berger bullet so im sure not going to say whether there good or bad but if i was going to pass on an opinion of them id at least like to shoot a few animals and shoot them in the right place before i judged them. Good example is my 264. it was my most used rifle for two seasons but if i would have judged my load on the first two deer i would have at least retired that load. Bullet was a 120bt and the first deer i shot in the spine and cut the deer in half. When i skinned it it actually fell into two pieces. Second deer was at about 350 and i misjudged the wind and put the bullet right on the shoulder and destroyed both shoulders. I know enought though to know that about any gun or load would have had the same results in both cases. Since them i dont know how many deer that gun has dumped but its been a bunch and i dont remember even once thinking, BOY THIS THING TEARS UP MEAT. If you dont want meat damage dont shoot them in the meat. its a simple as that. If you only have a shot that is going to take out meat either pass or admit the meat damage was your fault not the loads.