Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long Range thick skin bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range thick skin bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well I left the thread so the two or 3 that felt I was not being fair could debate it further. However Paul insists on laying yet another personal attack in my direction by naming me in yet another post in an attempt to insult my integrity, again.

So Mark, you are correct. What this thread has turned into is a move to silence members that do not agree. If we don't agree with Paul he will attack and degrade in an effort to silence the opposition with his long posts and smoke screen.

This reminds me a lot of the liberal media. I am suppose to give up my 1st amendment rights if they do not fall in line with their leftish way of mind. Which, frankly is this.

It is always someone else's fault. I am never the cause of the problem. If the bullet of choice did not work. IT HAS TO BE THE BULLET, or MANUFACTURER'S FAULT, or THE GUYS THAT USE THEM WITH SUCCESS and tell about it no matter how much they support their experiences.

"Never allow a tragedy to go to waste." Yet construe it to degrade the ones you do not agree with no matter how much they support their claims. How dare they voice their opinion. Lets degrade them publically.

Just like the media did Sarah Palin . Does all this look familiar?

Jeff
Time to pause and self-analyze Jeff.

For any members still tagging along, Jeff communicated directly to me in a PM, and I want to express my appreciation for that effort and initiative to contact me directly. Jeff, we don't agree on some matters, or how we represent ourselves on those matters while discussing them on this Forum. If we don't/can't, it is what it is. It was still worthy of expressing our perspectives to one another, directly, and in a civil manner. I thank you for your private message contact/communications.

Best regards,

Paul
Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Time to pause and self-analyze Jeff.

For any members still tagging along, Jeff communicated directly to me in a PM, and I want to express my appreciation for that effort and initiative to contact me directly. Jeff, we don't agree on some matters, or how we represent ourselves on those matters while discussing them on this Forum. If we don't/can't, it is what it is. It was still worthy of expressing our perspectives to one another, directly, and in a civil manner. I thank you for your private message contact/communications.

Best regards,

Paul
Yes Paul, we both should "pause and self-analyze". On that we agree.

Thank you as well.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Well.... it looks like after 40 pages this thread has about run its course.... I hope

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

No matter how we interpret our own delivery and communications, the feedback from the recipient of our communications is equally telling. I think it's clear that stenger felt accused, criticized, blamed, and verbally abused, after communicating the result his buddy experienced using one of the Berger bullets on a bull moose, and then asking for advice and recommendations on bullet selection for use on really large animals.

I'm surprised that stenger didn't lose it and respond in a much more aggressive, and defensive, manner.[/QUOTE]

I would agree that there have been some replies on both sides that really have taken this from discussion to a more of an offensive and defensive tone. That is to bad because I think there was a lot to learn from this topic but it DID go in a bad direction.

I can not speak for others, I have read my posts and I can see where some of them could have been taken as attacks on him, ESPECIALLY when reading those with some of the other posts. My intention was never to accuse or blame of anything negative toward Stenger but I can certainly see where my posts may have been taken that way with the context of how the rest of the thread was going. Again, if that was how they were taken, I want to apologize in public to him as that was not my intention.

Nor was I attacking you in any way either.

My main issue with this entire post is that when we get down to the brass tacks, we pretty much all agree on the basis of this post. I think tempers got flamed, mostly misunderstandings at least on my part and again, that was not my intention or desire.

That said, I still stand by the basis of any comments I offered to Stenger as far as what he saw with this bullet. I have made bad bullet choices, I am sure there is not person that has posted on this topic that has not done the same. He did nothing that any of us have likely done the same but when things are posted on a public forum, it can cause some heat to rise and its EASY to read more into comments then was intended and when that happens, once side will fire back and then the other side returns fire and all hell breaks loose which is unfortunate.

Again, its easy to read more into web postings then what was intended.

I tend to be blunt with my comments. Try not to be rude but I am usually pretty blunt and I can see where that can be taken in an unintended way especially when someone is getting a lot of rebuttals to their posts.

This was my main comment about the post with my latest replies. I was surprised it was still going on simply because there is not a lot more we can add or take from the topic except hurting feelings and getting mad which is about what has happened on both sides. That is to bad.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Stenger,

Wanted to reply to you directly. I went back and read all my posts to you and this subject. I can see, taking the context and temperament of the entire thread where you could have taken my comments as an attack on you.

Just want to come out on the public forum and say I apologize for that, it was not my intention. I can tend to be blunt with my comments and at times that can be taken as a personal attack more then as direct, blunt advice.

I still fully believe you made a bad choice with bullet selection. That said, I have done the same thing a time or two as have everyone on this thread in some way. That was more my point which did not come across at all. Should have just said, we have all done it, no big deal, learn and use that experience next time.

I think there was some misunderstanding in the beginning which then turned into a more aggressive tone then there should have been.

Again, I can understand why you took my comments as you did in context with the rest of the entire thread and I apologize for that, it WAS NOT my intention.

I have been in your shoes many times when I was bringing out my wildcats. For different reasons but I still took some serious heat for some of the reports I was posting. They were some of the most heated and ugly threads that there have been here on LRH so I know how you feel.

Again, if I added to that, even if that was not my intention, I apologize to you and want everyone on the post to witness that.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenger View Post
does anyone know of a good long range bullets that will perform up to buffalo size game.
Thanks
These...

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...on&key=MTH_D65

or these...

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

The CEB's have a better BC and cost less,

The GSC's will expand below 1600 fps

I assume the rifle is a 10" twist

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Originally Posted by stenger
does anyone know of a good long range bullets that will perform up to buffalo size game.
Thanks

The bullets Mark list would certainly be good choices. I assume this is out of a 338 Lapua but maybe I should not make that assumption. Also, what type of BUFFALO are you wanting to kill. A cape buff is a little different then our north American Bison. Both are big but the cape is in a totally different class of dangerous game.

Along with the bullets already mentioned, you may want to give the new 300 gr Nosler Accubond a look. This is a relatively slow bullet because of its very long baring surface but in all the rifles I have tested it in, it has shot very well and its BC does seem to be up in the +.7 range which makes it pretty good for long range. It will expand as well as any out there out to 1000 yards yet will be strong enough to hold together well at closer range also simply because of its weight, bonded core and heavy jacket, plus its slightly lower velocity then what you could get with something like the 300 gr SMK or 300 gr berger. Now, the velocity difference is not dramatic, 50-75 fps slower at same pressures.

It would be a very good all around choice for use from 0 to 1000 yards. Nothing fancy, nothing sexy but it would be a solid choice and not terribly expensive.

I am not a huge fan of the final design, I think Nosler could have made a much better design for long range ballistic performance but for a bullet directed more toward big game hunting at close to moderate long range, its not a bad design.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com