Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long Range thick skin bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

re: Long Range thick skin bullets

I should have pics tomo ill post when I get them ill post. I guess I was not clear we never was going to use Bergers to hunt buffalo. I was convinced that the berger would perform we'll on moose but it failed. So that makes me rethink what I wanted to use on buffalo. On deer sized game we have had great sucess with Bergers.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
I'll help you out here.

Shoot target bullets at big game and you will eventually pay the price. Shoot bonded or my preference GS custom HV.

Steve
Exactly

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

Wish your friend had read my posts in this Thread before his Alaskan moose hunt.

Berger VLD bullets on Moose - will it work??

I suspect he shot at the front shoulder or front leg. After a moose has been hit, I've found that they're much less likely to offer a perfect posing broadside shot, even if they're still out in the open and haven't made it into the brush or timber. They often keep moving away offering little more than a Texas heart shot or at best - a quartering away shot. If they remain in the open long enough, they may again expose their ribs.

They're a relatively easy animal to bring down with a single shot from an expanding bullet, placed into the ribs behind the front shoulder. Once I know I've hit them solidly in the lungs, I'll often hold my fire and wait for them to topple over.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Gold Member

this is where alot of guys make a mistake. they buy a big powerful rifle like a 300 ultra or 7stw to hunt at long range and think because its so fast it needs a premium bullet and dont take into account that at 500 yards there 300 ultra is about a 3030 in velocity and those premium bullets are just way to tought to expand. If you know your shooting is going to be at long range your much better off with a good old cup and core bullet like a sierra prohunter or nos ballistic tip. Sure they make a mess out of a deer at a 100 if your not careful but most of us here are good enough shots to be able to put a bullet in the chest of a deer out to 300 instead of on a shoulder and if your not you sure shouldnt be poking away at game farther then that anyway. IMO and many disagee, a premium bullet is good for only a couple things. Making a small caliber gun capable of killing larger game at short range or in a large caliber gun hunting something like bear that your may need some real penetration if you get in trouble. There not the answer for long range deer and antelope shooting. Why risk a bullet that might or might now expand and kill quickly when for a 1/3 the price you can buy a bullet that shoots as well or better and will expand all the time. Ive said it before bullets like the sierra and bt ARE THE PREMIUM DEER BULLETS.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

From the reports I got the bullets expansion was to rapid and uncontrolled thus causing penetration loss.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenger View Post
From the reports I got the bullets expansion was to rapid and uncontrolled thus causing penetration loss.
Man, am I trying to stay out of this! I'm just sitn' here eating popcorn and picturing Texas heart shots I was thinking about posting a list of who I think will respond in three colums starting with the thin skinned on the Left:

Veggie Bergers............ Mice to Moose.........Locomotive Busters

x .....................................x............ ..................x..........................
x .....................................x............ ..................x...........................
x .....................................x............ ..................x...........................

These bullet discussions are always GREAT!.........Rich

Last edited by elkaholic; 09-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
Ive said it before bullets like the sierra and bt ARE THE PREMIUM DEER BULLETS.
+ 1

You throw the Accubond and hornady interlock in there with the sierra pro hunter and the nos bt and you get 99% of the pills I've ever seen flung at game. I've got some barnes loaded (both cup and core and mono) and a few gs, but the nos offerings, the sierra, and the hdy could be all that's offered and I'd be damn happy.