Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long Range thick skin bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

re: Long Range thick skin bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenger View Post
Agreed I spoke out of line and stand corrected. Berger did only market them as a tactical bullet. I wonder if failure would have been worse with a hunting berger due to the thinner jacket.
At that range it would have been very similar, the bullet did not fail, any cup and core bullet that is not bonded or partitioned can and will spit the core like you see, there is nothing holding the core to the jacket so when the lighter jacket opens up and starts grabbing meat the heavier core keeps trucking, nothing to stop it just like the Game King, Nosler Ballistic tip and many other similar designs without bonding or partitions of some kind.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

I hope this thread has helped someone
Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not advocating for or against Bergers. I use them but you have to know your bullet and the game they are being used on. This is why I constantly test other bullets along with my own. I have no doubt that a Berger placed in the rib cavity (broadside) on a moose would put him down as quick as anything! On the other hand, I am not at all surprised that the shots you described got the result I would have anticipated. This is why I don't think "everyone should shoot Bergers at everything"! He is lucky the moose wasn't a bear! You don't take a knife to a gunfight!
I'm not saying that Bergers are billed that way, but they are so popular with long range hunters, and for some good reasons, that everybody thinks they have to shoot high b.c. Bergers at everything. Why, I don't know...My opinion, fire away!.......Rich
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
i don't think berger ever marketed the otm as a hunting bullet? Also, the bullet fragments that you found are very typical of berger performance. I agree that 6-8" isn't much penetration, but i don't know that my first two shots at a moose would be at that angle with any bullet........rich
True, the OTM's are not marketed as a "hunting" bullet, but the reason being is that they are a thiker jacketed bullet. From what I see, there was plenty of expansion so one could only imagine what the "hunting" version would have done? I'm thinking likely not any more penetration.

Aslo, seems to ba a lot of comments about shot placement. Sounds to me like shot placement was good for the available shot position. Sometimes we don't always get the perfect shot so if you are out on a $10,000 hunt, you want a bullet that will get the job done, whatever the job is, including a quartering shot.

I think in that vest majority of hunting situations, that Bergers perform very well and they will drop and animal quicker through the lungs than a controlled expansion bullet... but... the controlled expansion bullet is not limited by shot presentation.

Interesting thread

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

To bad he didn't shoot it behind the shoulder broad side, it would have been like a grenade going of in his lungs!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder if failure would have been worse with a hunting berger due to the thinner jacket.
Bingo!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Second bulletAttachment 25713
Stenger,
The two pictures you posted are of the same exact piece of lead. The jacket material may be different but the lead fragment is identical. Is there a second bullet that was mistakenly not posted in a picture? If so, could you post the pic of the 2nd bullet's lead fragment? Any weights on the lead fragments? How many grains of intact lead fragment? Thanks for sharing your information and photos. Good stuff.