Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long Range thick skin bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

re: Long Range thick skin bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenger View Post
Ok first and second shot were behind the ribs on a hard quartering away shot bullets entered had approx eight inches of penetration then failed no bones hit. Bullets did not make it to the diaphragm. Pic one is this bullet. Pic two was a neck shot side of neck penetration was approx 6 inches then stopped. 250 berger OTM at 2915 FPS.
Must have been one ugly hole for a few inches! That isn't much penetration for the one that is supposed to be the thick jacket version. I might add that taking that angle shot at a moose with a thin skinned bullet isn't the best idea! Was that a follow up?
So what killed the moose?.......Rich
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Well I would say that the bullet didnt 100% fail. It still killed the Moose. Sometimes weird things happen with bullets that can be hard to explain or understand. If a human makes it, sooner or later, it is bound to not perform right. I have been lucky enough to have never had this happen with any bullet that I have had ever used (knock on wood).

I do have to say that with the title of this thread and the content of the first post, this is the most mature thread on this subject that I have seen.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

On a heavy quartering shot I personally would not expect that bullet to make it to the goodies on a large moose, the 250 has so little shank when the nose peels back and the bullet starts opening there's not much reserve steam. The bullets look like they opened like they should have, just to much animal to get through for that bullet at that impact speed. Probably would have gotten more penetration if they'd been shot out of a 338 Win at that range or the shot had been at long range with a slower impact velocity.

Does not look like a bullet failure to me, they look like a lot of Berger chunks I've found or poured out of animal, with that much frontal area and a bullet that opens aggressively after a few inches of penetration with a close range hit on that kind of animal the bullet functioned correctly, just not the correct shot placement for that bullet at that impact velocity and range.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Silver Member

A bullet splitting into two pieces is a failure. I feel that if berger is going to market hunting bullets they should have information available as to what game the bullet is intended for. At least Nosler has a generic guide as to what game the bullet is designed to harvest. Shame on me for not knowing better. Shame on berger for lack of information someone could have been hurt. The pics have been posted I feel that the bullet pics are an obvious bullet failure. It retained no weight and that's really bad. Make your own conclusion.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenger View Post
a bullet splitting into two pieces is a failure. I feel that if berger is going to market hunting bullets they should have information available as to what game the bullet is intended for. At least nosler has a generic guide as to what game the bullet is designed to harvest. Shame on me for not knowing better. Shame on berger for lack of information someone could have been hurt. The pics have been posted i feel that the bullet pics are an obvious bullet failure. It retained no weight and that's really bad. Make your own conclusion.
i don't think berger ever marketed the otm as a hunting bullet? Also, the bullet fragments that you found are very typical of berger performance. I agree that 6-8" isn't much penetration, but i don't know that my first two shots at a moose would be at that angle with any bullet........rich
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

The marketing says they will go 2-3 inches then loose 40-85% of it's weight, any non bonded bullets can and will spit the core because nothing is holding it there, I actually prefer it to do that but I put the bullet behind the shoulder and it does all that in the vitals.

Direct from the Berger web site, there is no hunting data on the OTM, any hunting data is from trial and error on the loaders part.

The Hunting bullet line is proving to be the most lethal big game hunting bullets available. All of our Hunting bullets are made in the VLD design. The VLD design incorporates a sharp nose that allows the bullet to penetrate 2” to 3” before it starts to expand. After the bullet starts to expand it will shed 40% to 85% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue (internal organ). The combination between the shrapnel and the hydrostatic shock produces a massive wound cavity within the vital area (internal organs) that will be 13” to 15” long. This massive wound cavity results in the animal dropping fast since most go into shock after such a tremendous blow. Those animals that don’t go down immediately will soon succumb to blood pressure loss and/or organ failure producing a quick ethical kill. Our bullets don’t poke through like an arrow (high weight retention, deep penetration bullets) but instead dump their energy where it is most effective, inside the animal. Using the Berger VLD will result in an animal that goes down fast so you can enjoy the results of your hunt without having to track the wounded animal after the shot. You owe it to yourself to see how accurate and deadly the Berger Hunting VLD will be on your next hunt. To order a free 30 minute video that provides more detail on the bullets, cartridge and velocity used to take several animals at a variety of ranges call 714-441-7200.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Agreed I spoke out of line and stand corrected. Berger did only market them as a tactical bullet. I wonder if failure would have been worse with a hunting berger due to the thinner jacket.