Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long-Range Terminal Ballistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long-Range Terminal Ballistics

Damage to vital organs is the deciding factor at any distance.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamBowMike View Post
That's O.K., (WE ARE BOTH JUNIOR MEMBERS) If i forgot to add in the LR-distance to Your so called commercial, I would like to add that the 223 is good on whitetail deer out to 600 meters using a DRT 79gr bullet.

-RamBowMike
Thanks for pointing out im a junior member. Means nothing to me, since its just a useless post count related title.

If you shot critters with all those calibers and they ran off, maybe try for the kill zone more often.

Back on topic, im curious to know the minimum accepted ft lbs necessary for ethical kills on game per animal weight

SCI Member
Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd025 View Post
Back on topic, im curious to know the minimum accepted ft lbs necessary for ethical kills on game per animal weight
Accepted by who?
I don't think that simply using ft-lbs is a good idea. There are too many other variables to take into account.

i.e. Say you use a full metal jacket bullet with plenty of ft-lbs but no bullet expansion. In this case ft-lbs means nothing.
i.e. Say a bullet has heaps of ft-lbs but is very soft and explodes on the surface. Not a good option either.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out im a junior member. Means nothing to me, since its just a useless post count related title.

If you shot critters with all those calibers and they ran off, maybe try for the kill zone more often.

I agree with topshot: There are too many variables. This question can never be scientifically answered given the bullet weights and compositions as well as which body part of the animal the bullet strikes.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Bronze Member

Seems like I made my point then. Lol

SCI Member
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Seems like I made my point then. Lol
I have absolutely no idea of what point you are speaking of?
Does anybody else know?
Old 03-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
im curious to know the minimum accepted ft lbs necessary for ethical kills on game per animal weight
Ethical is something we don't discuss in this forum.

As others stated, there are too many variables to say for sure.

However, I often use 1800 fps and 1000 ft-lbs for whitetails as a quick rule of thumb. Most bullets will perform at that rate although, some are on the verge of not expanding. I beleive Berger will perform at slightly lower impact velocities and Barnes requires a little more.

Having said that, damage to vital organs is the ONLY thing that matters.

-- richard