Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

long range steel targets - suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: long range steel targets - suggestions?

I went to the local scrapyard and found some cinder block molds that r perfect for shooting at. They're heat-treated but not brittle, and a bullet can't touch them. I bought 800 lbs. of it, so we could set up our own shoots if we wanted to.

I came up with the most portable frame system i could think of, and it's working perfectly for us. It consists of 3 lengths of rebar, 2 copper or galvanized plumbing T's, and S hooks to hang the tgts. with. Just pound 2 rebar into the ground, put the T's on the top of the rebar, raise them slightly, and slide the other rebar thru it. Then hang steel from it. Quick, simple, cheap, and portable.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Gold Member

I found some old steel mounting plates off some train tracks that had been discarded with some rusty spikes. I went to the hardware store and bought some Grade 8 bolts to plug the holes where the spikes would be, bought some heavy chain to add additional mass, and fitted some hooks on the ends of the chain to hang from a weight rack I found at my fiancee's apartment trash cans. Looks like it will work like a champ. Its about 3/4" thick in the middle and maybe 3/8" on the ends. I'll get it out the range soon to test it out.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, guys. I'll be trying to hit whatever target I'm using with heavy hunting loads such as the 300 Jarrett, 7 Rem Mag, and maybe one day a 338 Edge (Shawn, I hope so some day). I would think that I need some heavy duty targets to hold up to this pounding. Ian, I will do a search as you suggested. I'm new to this forum (and sport) thus did not know that I could do a search. I have now discovered how. Thanks again. I will appreciate any other suggestions.
Merry Christmas all!
Paul
Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Sponsor

Kirby,

The one I had was the standard flash target for 50 BMG's. The standard one work well for almost everything until you start driving the 300's up in the 2750+ range those bullets and velocities will flip the target out of the holder most of the time ouit to 500-600 yards. The 50 model with not do this at any range but will still flash out to 2000 yards with the impact energy of a Lapua, Edge, 240 gr Ultra Mag etc. Talk to Robert and tell him you want the 50 target I got. I'll try to post a pic here. The nice part is that they break down into 3 piece to pack around and last forever with even smokin fur rifles.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Shawn,
I shot some of those targets a while back during at a Leupold show-and-tell, they are superb. Your buddy is going to get some business from a couple of range-builds I will be involved with in '07.
I have never seen how they fold down but that would be a handy feature.
I have a deer and coyote now in AR500 and they are more interesting to shoot than standard targets, sort of like round targets and critter targets for archery practice I suspect.
Those big boomers you guys shoot will punish a target much more than our lowly .308's. I will be shooting a .338 Lapua next summer so will have to toughen-up my targets or they will go to heck, but most are soft steel. Believe the easiest way other than hardened plate will be to go to 1/2" or thicker, will be much heavier to tote and handle.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Sponsor

The R&R targets don't fold the simply lift apart into 3 pieces, the target, the frame, and the splash guard. Even on the 50BMG target I have, the pieces are very packable for some distance. The AR500 is super tough @ 100 yards the Edge won't pock it unless you hit right on the very edge of the target. If you hit a full bullet diameter on the plate it simply splatters of the plate. The 50BMG target will still flash part of the card with a 6.5-284 @ 1276 yards so they still work with the lighter calibers at reasonable distances. If you can hit the target and not get it to flash you surely don't want to try to punch an animal at that distance. If you are not a member of the smokin fur club (a Edge, Lapua, Allen Mag owner) just get the standard flash target. The standard is much lighter and reacts better for the lighter calibers. The standard will work well even for the smokin fur guys as long as you use distances over 800 yards. I know Robert really well and he is a good guy, I pay the same for them as anyone else, he just makes a great target.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Bronze Member

I bougnt the perfect thing from an outfit in Arazona, I believe. I'm having a oldtimers moment now and can't bremember the name. A hanging frame, a 4" and an 8" gong were less than 150 deliverd. Biger and smaller gongs were avaliable. If someone dosen't know the game I'll find it. capt david