Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

long range steel targets - suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

long range steel targets - suggestions?

I'm in the process of getting together the equipment that I'll need to learn long range hunting. I already have the rifle, a 300 Jarrett. It shoots a 175 gr SMK at 3450 fps. I do not have an existing range in my area where I can shoot the distances that I desire. I will be using a friends farm. It means that my targets will have to be portable, moveable by my self. I'm not sure of where I can obtain the needed targets at a price I can afford. Do any of y'all have any suggestions? I would love to have a LaRue target, but I can't afford one. I am thinking that I probably need to go with a steel plate (gong) type. What kind of stand or hanging apparatus do you recommend for these targets? Are there any plans or drawings? How thick does the plate need to be? I'm told I should buy only AR500 steel or tougher. Correct? Where do I get it? I would appreciate any recommendation(s) that I can get from you learned ones. Thanks!
Paul
Old 12-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: long range steel targets - suggestions?

Do a search for AR500. Lot of great info already posted.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Sponsor

Paul,

I use several targets from R&R the self resetting "flash" targets are great I use several of them in my long range classes. You can find them at www.RandRRacingOnline.com Tell Robert I sent you.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

For an economical & portable solution, you might try suspending chain from a tall sawhorse built with 2x4s and the temporary leg supports from your local lumber supply. As for gongs (metal targets), I would consider making a three-sided frame from small channel stock to attach to the chain & to hold the target metal. As for getting that, you might try a local scrap dealer to get rough-cut plate to slide into the frame. Iím very involved in the metalworking industry & I can tell you that AR500 is very tough, very expensive, expensive to cut & expensive to ship. While it might not be as cosmetically pleasing, throwaway scrap plates would be portable and considerably less expensive. JMHO

Dave
Old 12-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Depending on what your friends farm...... worn out metal disk from an offset are often about 14" dia(elk vitals size)and when hung from a chain work good. If you punch holes in them they are free and weld easily.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Do a seaarch on targets, we have covered this extensively. Suggest you watch out for some old swing-sets for hanging steel targets, they are usually free and work great. We shot some standard steel plates today at 500 with two or three different .308 Win. bullets. Essentially the 1/4 plate did not do well, significant divots and concave shape after a half-dozen hits. 3/8" did much better, very slight concave, no divots. 1/2" was fine, withstood the hits very well.

AR500 is the best but not needed at longer ranges depending on the caliber. We practice a lot with .308 Wins and they will not beat up steel plates at 700. I have seen big plates of soft steel go concave from hitting them with .338 Lapuas, all you do is switch them around and shoot the bend out.

The target Shawn mentioned is very good. Also check out www.lvsteeltargets.com for some nice AR500 reactive targets that are affordable.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Shawn,

What model was that one you had when I was down hunting with you.

I need to order one of dem!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com