Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long Range Shooting and Rain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Shooting and Rain?

Thanks for the input guys. This is basically the same thing I was thinking.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
There is a really big adverse affect. You'll get wet. Perhaps none of you have ever noticed that about rain. It is made up of water.
BB, you guys should build you some covered shootin' benches back there... and here I thought that partof the country was civilized
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 PM

I dont know about long range, but I can tell you a 5.56 flys great to 300 M in the rain. After spending alot of time at FT Knox KY, where "if it aint rainin we aint trainin" is the motto. I remember the good ol days of M16 qualifying in pouring rain with CLP splashing in your eyes. Most of my friends pack it up when it starts to rain but I will get real data this summer on the effect out as far as I can.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Michael and Bob are both spot on here. Trajectories flatten out due to reduced air density, bullets make it to the target just fine, and you DO get wet. We got absolutely hammered at Perry during the NRA Championships two years ago, worst conditions I've ever seen there. Biggest complaints I had, all had to do with the fact that the bullets tore large, un-paste-able (?) holes in the soggy targets, you couldn't keep the water out of your sight apertures or off your shooting glasses, and your shooting jackets wound up smelling like a wet dog. If you had a diopter sight or used a front lens like a tiger eye, you were just flat out hosed. But no, the bullets do just fine in the rain!

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Silver Member

when i shot 1k benchrest, i saw aome very,very good groups shot in the rain. in my opinion,especially on the "mountain" in normal conditions, there is some wind/breeze. which will open groups up. a cool steady rain usually produces very little or no wind. the reason for the good groups. jason