Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long Range Shooting and Rain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Long Range Shooting and Rain?

Hey ya'll,

I'm in a discussion on another forum talking about external ballists and the subject of rain has come up. I thought I read a few posts on here somewhere, where the effect of rain on bullets (external ballistics) was discussed.

As I recall, some folks had done some shooting in the rain with no significant effects from the rain observed?

I've read a post in another forum, where the poster said bullets from a 220 swift dont always make to the target when fired in the rain.

Does anyone have any experience with this subject or might be able to point me to some good sources.

Thanks,

-MR
Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Shooting and Rain?

I have Shawn Carlock's "Long Range Shooting" video and I believe he mentions in his video that rain really doesn't have much of an affect on the bullet.

I could be wrong........maybe he will chime in on this.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

With rainfall comes low air pressure and cooler temps. This maybe where someones 22 bullets didnt make it to the target. How far was he shooting and with what bullet?

Personaly I do not have any first hand scientifec knowledge of what any effects of rain in and of its self has on a bullet. However I have shot in dry air and rainy air and have never seen any abnormal effects on predicted POI. Predicted meening all other lighting and atmosperic conditions were accounted for and taken into account.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

We shoot rain or shine to 1,000 yards regularly and to 1,200 yards on occasion with several calibers. Other than taking into account density altitude variations, we see no effects from rain.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

good topic. My belief is that the atmospheric conditions(pressure, temp, RH, wind, dirt/dust) have more affect on bullet path then rain drops.
Check this site out, it explains the pressure front, and believe this explains why little if any affect on the bullet path.
The Doppler Effect and Sonic Booms

I wouldnt want to make a long range shot in a steady rain anyway, would be next to impossible. ..
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

As I recall, some folks had done some shooting in the rain with no significant effects from the rain observed?
I don't have near the trigger time most do here, but the most significant effect I've noticed from the rain is the lack of other shooters at the range. I'll intentional schedule range time if I know it's going to be raining.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

There is a really big adverse affect. You'll get wet. Perhaps none of you have ever noticed that about rain. It is made up of water.

A couple of people including me have made calculations on the the probability of a bullet being impacted by enough raindrops to become deflected. By the time the density of raindrops is that great you cannot see the target. Of course there are people who live on the outer rings of Saturn who have claimed to have shot in rainfalls where the size of the raindrops exceed anything ever measured by scientist here on earth.

If it interests you, google up the size of raindrops. It is actually very interesting how little is actually known and measured on the subject.