Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

long range shooting problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM

long range shooting problem

i have a couple of friends with an odd problem that i dont know the answer to. their long range setups is the exact same setup which is: a factory remington 300 ultra mag with the fluted varmint contour barrels. they are both shooting 210gr bergers with 92gr of h1000(velocity ~3050fps) fed 215m primers. nightforce scopes...... these guns shoot ~2" groups @200yards.

their problem is, when we are out shooting at 800-1200 yards, their guns always shoot to the right! i myself shoot a 7wsm with 162amax @3050fps. the other day we were all 3 shooting at 800 and 900 yard steel targets and i was dialing for little or no wind and they were dialing 2 or 3 moa. same thing happened to one of them when we shot at 1200yards on a different day, he had to dial 6 moa when i was at 2moa windage.....pretty calm day. same thing happens to him at his range at 1050yards. now when this all happened when we we're all shooting prone and off of bipods and sandbags.

i dont really know how they worked up their loads, so thats questionable. if it was their loads though, it would be more of a vertical problem rather than a windage problem....right? i do know that they do not put these bullets into the lands. they load them short enough to fit into their box magazine...that may be a problem. they use swivel bipods....ive thought that maybe they are getting torqued while shooting(i use a fixed bipod). i may have to shoot one of their guns on my bench off of my rest.

they are convinced that their twist rate is not fast enough for the bullet. they are ready to sell all of the 210bergers they have b/c of this.

any ideas?

Last edited by joe3; 06-21-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: long range shooting problem

Two possible problems that I can think of would be spindrift and scope not being level. To be honest spindrift should only be around 10" at most at 1000, I think... so that really isn't that likely to be the problem... and I'm not even sure which way it should be depending on you twist ( I suspect that it would be a right twist and therefore be drifting to the right.)

However, the more likely culprit is that the scope is not mounted perfectly level on your rifle. If the scope is canted to the right slightly, when you turn your turret, the crosshairs will be moving slightly to the left as you dial for more range. This would cause you to aim farther right. It could also be that they are consistently canting the rifle while fireing... but I would suspect that they would be getting horizontal stringing if that was the case.
Good luck, Mark.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 PM

this is true, canting the rifle would cause this. i always shoot with a bubble level.....they dont.
how unlevel would the crosshairs have to be to create such a bullet drift at 800yards? should be noticeable....right?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

It takes more math that I'm willing to figure out on a saturday night lol! yes it would be noticeable. Just look at something half a mile away through your rifle scope and watch how far the bottom post of the duplex moves on the target when you cant your scope a little. 800 -1200 yards is a long ways off and the smallest movement makes a big difference. doesn't take much to move 20-30 inches ;)

after I wrote that I had to take a shot at it... I'm thinking that from 100 yard sight in to 1200 yard sight in you have about 400 inches of elevation adjustment. to get roughly close I'm thinking you have a circle that is 800 inches in diameter x pie divided by 360 degrees will yield roughly 7 inches off per degree of cant off. so it will add up in a hurry!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

I would agree that the reticle is likely canted.

This introduces two problems. First, the scope is leaning and the bullet doesn't not strike directly on the vertical wire. Then as we dial on elevation, we are also inadvertently adding windage.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 PM

he does level his scope with a double bubble level kit. (one on the action and one on the top of the scope turret). i may have to show him how to level his scope the Right way. i dont think highly of the double level kit that he thinks the world of. lol. after i do that i will have him shoot with a level on his rifle.
and me getting him to do all of this might take an arm and a leg! he's kinda thick headed. lol
Old 06-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshell View Post
I would agree that the reticle is likely canted.

This introduces two problems. First, the scope is leaning and the bullet doesn't not strike directly on the vertical wire. Then as we dial on elevation, we are also inadvertently adding windage.
+1
When you increase elevation ,you increase windage error if the scope is not level with the bullet
path.

simply holding the scope level will not fix the problem.

Place a piece of tape around the scope next to the scope ring and make a fine mark on the
tape at the seam of the scope ring and then loosen the scope rings just enough to rotate
the scope in the direction that you want to move the point of impact.(It won't take much)

Re-tighten and shoot, it should have about the same vertical point of impact (No windage
adjustments from 100 to 600yards).

J E CUSTOM