Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long range rifle off the shelf?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
The main reason I have mine built from the ground up is so that this is never an issue. For many years I had hit and miss rifles-----spent a lot of time and money on crap---the only factory guns I have now are a few collector ones. When you know everything is right from the start then you can concentrate on shooting and loading.

It is exciting I must admit to have a factory gun shoot tiny little holes! Six years ago I was not this bad but getting involved in 1K BR has ruined me with respect to my expectations. Is it necessary for a sporter to be able to fire 5 rounds (clean bore cold barrel) into .5 within a couple of minutes or less? No but that is good or bad what my expectations are now. This method is pretty much line it up in the bags check condition and pull the trigger sending 5 rounds down range as fast as possible.

To my small mind it simulates what I do for fun in competition and pretty much covers any situation that I may come across in the field. A few times there have been more feral hogs for me to shoot at long range than I had gun for. The example I am thinking of was a 30-378 that would literally put 2 shots into .3 (MOA @ 300 yards) every single time the next shot would be a couple inches to the left or right and the next would be 7 or 8 like a shot gun. Quite a bit of stress in that tube and that is just a single example. Have a lot of fun planning and building ----- for me it is just like a young man at Christmas when I get to go and shoot my latest project.
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!

Unread 03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Bronze Member
senderos shoot

Moose Hunter,
+1 on the sendero for a good factory starter rifle. I have a couple customs and this sendero seems to be able to hold its own. I have the pictures of this rifle posted on the gun pics page (300 rum shooting nice). I believe I am into the whole package including the scope about 3000.00. It does not take much to turn a sendero into a tack driver.