Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long range elk/deer... 7mm mag vs. 300 win mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long range elk/deer... 7mm mag vs. 300 win mag?

Tell that to the top selling charts for dies and brass. For practical purposes its hard to beat either of these two oldies but goodies. Their very common place, easy to load for and last time I checked, will still kill (thats why I have both, well the 300 made way for a 338 win, another history book member eh?). I wouldn't discount them just because of their age, unless your into sexy new selling points like "ultra" and "short".

Now between the two cartridges, I think its a wash. If I had to buy new all over again, I would pick the 7. I like the way it shoots, how it kicks (mine is chambered in a nice and lite M77, and is a pussy cat), and what it does to deer (drops them, hard...). Now thats not to say I wouldn't ever buy a 300 WM again though. Its a pretty thing watching 200gr SMKs work their magic over LR. I would say, go with 7, load a nice 160gr pill and don't look to much at the up and coming hype.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Writers Guild

I chose the 7RM because of recoil and better LR ballistics. Both will work admirably a very long ways out.

Jerry
Old 12-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Thanks guys. Very informative. So basically the 7mm works better than the 300win in wind and has a flatter trajectory, but the 300win is more powerfull and a longer range round yet kicks a bit more?

[/ QUOTE ] WEll... kinda. it depends on what you mean by the 300 being a longer range round. The 7 will have a longer range to subsonic, more energy past 900, and in general has superior external ballistics. The 7 will have more energy at LR than the 300, but there is someting independant at work when you are comparing the 180gr bullets to 220gr bullets. Start with more bullet, end with more bullet regaurdless. It has been my experence that even at ranges where the 300 is lagging behind another bullet in the energy department, it will still leave a deeper dent in steel, penertate more dirt, and generally do bad things where it lands. If this is what you meant... then maybe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Budlight, im just curious as to exactly what you think a WSM will do that the standard magnums won't? Keep in mind that they have less capacity across the board, and lag several FPS behind with heavy bullets when loaded to the same pressure. The only very very very marginal advantage is no belt... but the 7stw you mention has one so that can't be what you were refering to. as the its place next to the 30-30... if you mean as a very popular hunting round that will probably be popular untill ther are no more guns, I agree. If you mean they are outdated... then thats one of the funniest things ive heard in a while.
Charles,
[ QUOTE ]
I still maintain the 300WM is the best round for a new LR shooter, if only for the fact that its easy to load for, good loads are well known, and you can buy factory match ammo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

Abinok,
I couldn't have said it better myself. I think some of the current advertisement is sinking in a bit too deep. Darn, I'm only 21 and I think the greatest invention since sliced bread have been the belted mags( those being the 264, 7mm, 300, and 338). The current "ultra mags" are definately a great advancement for the general shooting public, but for the the reloaders amongst us, they are nothing new. Hell, it really sucks to be Canadian Imprireal doesn't it? Oh well, I'll shut up so Remington and Winchester can sell a few more guns and ammo.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Gold Member

Abinok. I don't know the case capcity of all the short magnums. I do know that the 270 WSM can hold @10 more grains the standard win 270.

I do now that when my now sold 7 mag was blowing the primers out, it's still 100-150 fps slower than a my 7stw and the 7 STW is not even stressing the cases. I do know that the same could be said about the 300 WM compared to the 300 ultra or my 30-378.

So my point would be there is no real reason to buy a 7 mag or a 300 wm today.

I also don't see higher BC in 7mm commom hunting bullets over the 30 cal. I only shoot 175 SBT's out of my 7STW. Sierra lists them at .533 The 200 grain 30 cal SBT is listed at .560 I'm pretty sure that the 30 Utra mags can get a 200 going the same velocity as a 175 grain 7mm

So the 30 cal is a faster flater shooter than the 7mm