Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long Range Bullets and Terminal Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

phorwath, true, I wouldn't expect *identical* results everytime, but opening at 1600 fps vs 1800 fps is significant in my book. In the case of GG's story, the elk was first shot in the neck and I'm assuming no bone was hit, because if bone was hit, it would have dropped instantly.

Your story of the dall sheep is very interesting and sounds like an anomoly, especiall for a ballistic tip. My expeiences with bullets have been consistant, having used 7mm 160 partitions almost always. Little hole going in, little bigger hole going out.

I'm trying to determine some predictable results. I would much rather shoot at an animal being confident that the bullet will perform well than just hoping maybe it will. It may be that experience with shooting lesser game like antelope and coyotes will be my ultimate proving ground.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
I don't think that I can stabilize the AB at low velocity since my rifle is a 1:14 twist. Perhaps when the weather breaks here I can try to shoot a reduced load into wet newspaper. If I can launch it at 1500 fps and it is stable that would be about 750 ft/lbs.
If it hits nose first I guess we will have our answer.

edge.
That would be an interesting test. I thought about doing it myself, but I was thinking of doing downrange which would better simulate actual conditions. A comparrison would also be interesting. The only thing is that paper offers a little more resistance. I saw some pics of a guy who test TSX'x, BT's and E-Tips at 3100 fps into phone books, The TSX penetrated 15 inches and the BT and E-Tip penetrated 11 and 12. If shot at game the TSX at that vel would probably pass clean through 2 elk side by side, a lot more than 15 inches.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Very true, perhaps we need X number of phone books = 1 elk conversion and then we can correlate 1/2 X phone books = 1 medium whitetail

edge.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Your story of the dall sheep is very interesting and sounds like an anomoly, especially for a ballistic tip. My experiences with bullets have been consistant, having used 7mm 160 partitions almost always. Little hole going in, little bigger hole going out.
I have yet to even hear of a Nosler Partition failing to expand, let alone experienced it myself. I have my own experience with the Ballistic Tip on the dall sheep, I was present with a hunting partner when he had a Ballistic Tip fail to open on a black bear which we recovered with a couple additional shots, and other hunters have told me of other Ballistic Tip failures to expand. I can't explain why - Only the after the kill facts.

I've shot a few animals with Accubonds and no failures to report with them yet. I killed a bull caribou at 849 yards with the 7mm 160 Accubonds last fall and both recovered bullets expanded. Muzzle velocity at impact should have been right at Nosler's recommended 1800 fps.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

I believe that the medium that is on the receiving end of the bullet has a lot to do with how it expands as well. I've shot TSX's into damp sand, and then into a couple of gallon milk jugs filled with water at the same speed and distance. The bullets that entered the water expanded just like they are supposed to, and the sand seemed to pack the nose cavity so tightly that they mostly acted like solids. The ones that didn't had partial petal opening, maybe 50%. 25 cal. impact velocity 3000 - 3100 fps.

On the other hand, I had a 25 cal NBT impact a whitetail doe in the ribs @ 80 yds - again 3000 - 3100 fps and while she expired within 100 Yds, there was no exit wound, and no blood trail except for the last 10 feet. I have never used the Berger VLD's on game but that's only because I couldn't get a load to shoot less than 1.5 MOA @ 100 Yds. I like the Barnes TSX's because I've had really good performance from them, but I'm searching for a better BC bullet that will exit both sides of a deer (Weatherby .257 Mag) if the deer happens to get close.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
I believe that the medium that is on the receiving end of the bullet has a lot to do with how it expands as well. I've shot TSX's into damp sand, and then into a couple of gallon milk jugs filled with water at the same speed and distance. The bullets that entered the water expanded just like they are supposed to, and the sand seemed to pack the nose cavity so tightly that they mostly acted like solids.
Yup, there seems to be a lot of variables in bullet performance. I think the best way to figure this out is to shoot actual critters at the actual ranges.

~ John Quincy Adams