Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long Range Bullets and Terminal Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
...I am curious where you found the data that AB's need 1800 fps to open?
I called Nosler, they said 1880 fps was the minimum required expansion vel for all AB's.

Interesting... would like to do some long range expansion tests someday.

Any ideas anyone? Phonebooks?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I called Nosler, they said 1880 fps was the minimum required expansion vel for all AB's.

Interesting... would like to do some long range expansion tests someday.

Any ideas anyone? Phonebooks?

I would say that the people at Nosler probably add at least 200fps to there minimum expansion velocitys just to avoid any consumer complaints about poor bullet performance.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlinchedAgain View Post
I would say that the people at Nosler probably add at least 200fps to there minimum expansion velocitys just to avoid any consumer complaints about poor bullet performance.
They show a picture of an E-Tip tested @ 1800 fps, (which is also the advertised expansion vel for the E-Tip) and it is oppened a little but the petals are definitely not rolled back.

This is a comparison with the TSX, the middle bullets are 1800 fps and the other fully opened are at 3200 fps.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-06-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
They show a picture of an E-Tip tested @ 1800 fps, (which is also the advertised expansion vel for the E-Tip) and it is oppened a little but the petals are definitely not rolled back.

This is a comparison with the TSX, the middle bullets are 1800 fps and the other fully opened are at 3200 fps.
Well thats marketing for you, you can read into it whatever you like, It doesnt even state what they were fired into for testing, all this add really really proves is that they know how to photograph expanded bullets, even I can do that, Im sure the people at Barnes would show you something completely different.
Im not trying to sound negative or anything but at the end of the day they are just two companies competing for you hard earned dollar, the only way to know for sure is to get out there and try them, as they say your own experience is worth more than a thousand expert opinions.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

The Nosler website says 1600-3000 fps for the Ballistic Tip, and 1800-3100 for the Accubond. You just have to go to each bullets page and the velocity ratings are almost at the bottom.

IMO, 3000 for the regular BT seems a bit high, and the low end seems fairly high for both! I tend to think of BT ( type) bullets as exceptionally fast openers.

edge.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlinchedAgain View Post
Well thats marketing for you, you can read into it whatever you like, It doesnt even state what they were fired into for testing, all this add really really proves is that they know how to photograph expanded bullets, even I can do that, Im sure the people at Barnes would show you something completely different.
Im not trying to sound negative or anything but at the end of the day they are just two companies competing for you hard earned dollar, the only way to know for sure is to get out there and try them, as they say your own experience is worth more than a thousand expert opinions.
I agree, I didn't post the picture to compare the E-Tip vs the TSX, I posted it to show the E-Tip perfomance at 1800 fps, which I would guess would be the same or close to the AB. Point being, I dont think they would advertise bullet expansion @ 1800 fps if it actually opened @ 1600 fps.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, while the E-Tip did not open great ( @1800 fps) in the previous picture, it did attain a blunt surface.
Also IMO, if a monolithic copper will open that much, a ballistic tip is going to be a whole lot better! To my eye there is just no comparison as to ease of opening between the E-Tip and Accubond.

edge.