Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long Range Bullets and Terminal Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Solution:

Load the Nosler Accubonds, E-tips, Barnes TSX - take your pick - in the magazine and use those for close shots under 400 yds. Tack driving accuracy, high BC, and low ES and SD aren't absolute necessities under 400 yds.

If the Bergers shoot good at long range, load and use them for long range shots where you'll have time to prepare for the shot. If the Bergers won't fit in your magazine when loaded to jam into the lands, then load and fire them one at a time - single shot style. It won't be a handicap if the game is a long ways off. You'll generally have time to load and shoot them single shot style.

Then you'll have the best option for both scenarios. This is a standard practice of mine in Alaska. I carry brown/grizzly bear loads in the magazine for a close range encounter of the worst kind, and these bear loads are also fine for fast action game animal encounters out to 400 yds. Then if I set up to take a shot across the mountain at long range, I swap out and load my long range loads single shot style. Hasn't posed any handicap for me to date.

All my effort goes into developing the long range loads. Just about any stout bullet will suffice and be accurate enough for the camp bears and closer shots - on out to 400 yds - on big game sized animals.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

GG,
Thanks for the info, that was a great story and good pics. Congradulations on the success. When I run the ballistics, it looks like it was traveling about 1600 fps at impact. Great performance at that velocity.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

phorwath,
Some good points there. I had thought about loading bergers for the loger shots but hadn't thought about loading them longer for single shot, That's a good idea, I might try it.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Gold Member

GG I agree with you to a point on the smk. I personally don't use them anymore. But if were talking big sauce here the accubond isn't even in the same ball park as the 300 smk in .338. You sling any kind of lead at that weight and things are bound to die. That's why I stated the heavier smk's were o.k. Now as for accubonds vs. bergers there really isn't any comparison imo. The bergers have a way higher b.c. with devastating terminal performance that I have seen up close and a long ways away. In fact it seems everything I've shot with a berger vld be it long or short has been bang flop one shot! I shoot the bergers in .30 cal 7mm and .20 cal and I couldn't be happier. I actually used the accubonds before the bergers but then stumbled on the bergers a few years ago and have never looked back. It seems if you seat them into the lands they aren't so picky. Anyways nice shooting.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

While I enjoy watching bang-flops whether from a Ballistic tip or Berger type, I just prefer a bullet that stays together. If the manufacturer tells me that it will shed 80-90% of its weight and I make a less than perfect shot I feel that there is a much greater chance for losing the animal than if the bullet retains a fair amount of its weight.

I know that nobody ever makes a bad shot, nobody ever misjudges the wind, and that animals never move during bullet transit, but one of these days one of those things might just happen...it might just be Twilight Zone thinking, but what if these things could happen!

edge.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
GG,
Thanks for the info, that was a great story and good pics. Congradulations on the success. When I run the ballistics, it looks like it was traveling about 1600 fps at impact. Great performance at that velocity.
Thanks.

Did you run the chart for 5500 feet elevation?
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
GG I agree with you to a point on the smk. I personally don't use them anymore. But if were talking big sauce here the accubond isn't even in the same ball park as the 300 smk in .338. You sling any kind of lead at that weight and things are bound to die. That's why I stated the heavier smk's were o.k. Now as for accubonds vs. bergers there really isn't any comparison imo. The bergers have a way higher b.c. with devastating terminal performance that I have seen up close and a long ways away. In fact it seems everything I've shot with a berger vld be it long or short has been bang flop one shot! I shoot the bergers in .30 cal 7mm and .20 cal and I couldn't be happier. I actually used the accubonds before the bergers but then stumbled on the bergers a few years ago and have never looked back. It seems if you seat them into the lands they aren't so picky. Anyways nice shooting.

Links,
The 300 grain 338 SMK is one of the SMK's that ALWAYS expanded in my tests and in the game I've shot with them. The two moose at over 900 yards last year were both killed with this bullet and the devastation was enormous. I couldn't have used a better bullet for the hunt.

ANd I too have never had to shoot anything twice with Bergers. And I do believe they are a tad bit better for long range terminal performance. But I think the Accubonds work a tad better up close for penetration or for bone hits. That is why I think the Accubonds are the best "all around" bullet because they score high in every category short and long. But the Bergers get a higher score on the long end of the spectrum. I have been hunting with Accubonds since 2000 and have taken a lot of long range game with them and some of those animals I believe would have been too far and too thin skinned for anything other than a Berger to work.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.