Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Long Range Bullets and Terminal Performance

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 06-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 2,625
i'd say before you jump on the e-tip wagon you might want to test the terminal performance at 700 or 900 or whatever yardage you want to shoot. i've no doubt they will perform great at close range but at distance is the big "Q". as mentioned the Accubond is very difficult to beat as a bullet that can do both and has a proven track record. i'm getting ready to test the terminal performance of bullets and it's a lot of fun. only down side is drinking a gallon of milk every day!
__________________
davesonlinedeals.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 243
I assume you guys would also recommend the accubond for the 7mm stw as well in the 160 grain? any thoughts on the tsx? I got decent accuracy and velocity out of the 140's but heard they fall apart so i never tried them on game.
__________________
Member of the 7 MM STW Club
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail View Post
I assume you guys would also recommend the accubond for the 7mm stw as well in the 160 grain? any thoughts on the tsx? I got decent accuracy and velocity out of the 140's but heard they fall apart so i never tried them on game.
How in heavens name could anyone think that a TSX would fall apart?
__________________
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 670
The tsx doesn't fall apart. But IMO it's not a long range bullet either. In fact as much as I like them the accubond doesn't fall into my category of long range either. They work but to me a long range bullet has a high b.c. which in reality the accubond and tsx don't. To me a long range bullet would be a berger or a smk. The bergers are proven in long range hunting as is the heavier smk's. With a berger you can usually step up to a heavier bullet with better kill performance and about the same drop as the lighter brand x bullet at close range. At longer ranges they perform better even though it's heavier. Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
How in heavens name could anyone think that a TSX would fall apart?
When i first started messing with them in the STW quite a few guys mentioned the pedals were falling off an pinholing stuff. Havent seen it personally but just what i heard.
__________________
Member of the 7 MM STW Club
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: on the rifle range in Utah
Posts: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by linksmechanic View Post
The tsx doesn't fall apart. But IMO it's not a long range bullet either. In fact as much as I like them the accubond doesn't fall into my category of long range either. They work but to me a long range bullet has a high b.c. which in reality the accubond and tsx don't. To me a long range bullet would be a berger or a smk. The bergers are proven in long range hunting as is the heavier smk's. With a berger you can usually step up to a heavier bullet with better kill performance and about the same drop as the lighter brand x bullet at close range. At longer ranges they perform better even though it's heavier. Just my thoughts.
I agree with you that the TSX isn't a great long range bullet compared to others. But I disagree with your statement that SMK's are better long range bullets than Accubonds. Yes they have higher bc's but that relates to exterior ballistics and is different from terminal ballistics. I have personally used SMK's to kill things at long range and have tested a many more of them in media and I have seen spotty performance at best. Some weights and calibers expand every time. Some do not. Accubonds work every time and although they have slightly lower bc's, they still are good. A 200 grain .30 AB at .588 going 3200 fps is nothing to sneeze at. And the 160 grain .284 AB is .531 and pretty darn impressive when it smashes into and breaks both shoulders of a bull elk at 900 yards. Oh yeah, and lets not forget the 225 AB in my .338 that busted down a gigantic bodied bull elk at 1302 yards. And they work at point blank range too. There's a reason why AB are best sellers.
__________________
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
How in heavens name could anyone think that a TSX would fall apart?
A lot of times they wont expand at all !!!!!!!!
UB
__________________
Attitude:
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Long Range Bullets and Terminal Performance
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cutting Edge Bullets terminal performance jedlowe Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 16 07-14-2013 11:42 PM
Berger 300gn'ers - long range accuracy, hunting and terminal performance results NZ Longranger Long Range Hunting & Shooting 19 08-13-2011 05:34 AM
Long-Range Terminal Ballistics sscoyote Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 28 03-24-2011 05:45 AM
Terminal Performance Varmint Hunter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 2 06-27-2010 11:57 PM
Long range performance of ballistic tip and accubond bullets Kenster-Boy Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 19 02-18-2005 09:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC