Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long Range Bullets and Terminal Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member

Long Range Bullets and Terminal Performance

I am new to the long range shooting and hunting scene, and I have questions about long range terminal performance of bullets.

My approach to long range hunting may be a little different than some here. I see it as a way to increase my options and make a kill that would not be possible otherwise, i.e. not enough time to make a stalk or unable to make a stalk due to terrain, cover, etc. My approach to hunting is to get as close to my game as possible, but I do want to develop the skill and ability to confidently make a long range kill.

Having said that, I would be looking for bullets that perform from point blank range to maybe a little beyond a 1000 yds (assuming the rifle is capable).

In my case I am using a 300 WSM. Eventually, I think I would like to have a *caryable* 300 RUM built, or maybe a wildcat magnum.

I am wondering what bullet recomendations and experience you have? I see bullets and loads for my 300 WSM that get me out to 700 - 900 yds at the elevations I hunt, according to their minimum expansion speeds.

I believe I can safely take antelope and possibly deer without bullet expansion, but elk is probably a different story.

I would like to hear your opinions, especially experiences.

Thanks,

Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

given that you currently have a 300 WSM I'll constrain my comments to bullets and not distance they should/could be used.

Sneak down to the Bear forum and look at the large brown bear. It was taken w/a lung shot @ 250 yds, broadside w/a 180 gr Accubond launched right at 3000 FPS.

Bullet made penetration to just bruise the hide on the far side. The bear went about 40 yds in a non threatening direction.

I have different preferences as far as caliber, weight and ballistics go but the Accubond would be a decent choice.

I'd also suggest you develop 1st shot capability to some distance at which you have 100% confidence with the load you select then limit your shots to that distance. FPE may also be a consideration.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with roy on the Accubond, prefer the 200 gr version out of a 300 WM myself, but wouldn't hesitate to use the 180. I think either one will knock em dead from 20 ft to as far as you can hit em.

Chris
Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

I also recommend Accubonds for all around usage. They are probably the best bullet for all ranges ever made in my opinion. Berger VLD's are probably a bit better at extended ranges but not as good for penetration at close range in my experience.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member

The Accubonds do appear to be good bullets, but I'm leaning toward the 180 gr E-Tips which have a little better BC. I'm hoping to get 3000 fps out of them which gets me out to about 800-900 yds @ 1800 fps depending on elevation.

Yeah, I read that thread on the big bear shot with the 300 WSM and the 180 Accubond. That was impressive. I sure dont think I would be shooting bears more than 500 yds with these size bullets. Our black bears seldom get over 400 lbs and 300 lbs is usually a good bear here. Hopefully we will be able to hunt griz soon. I think I would stay inside 300 yds for a good size griz (about 400 - 500 lbs) With a RUM I might go a little farther.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 06-02-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The Accubonds do appear to be good bullets, but I'm leaning toward the 200 gr E-Tips which have a little better BC. I'm hoping to get 3000 fps out of them which gets me out to about 800-900 yds @ 1800 fps depending on elevation.

Yeah, I read that thread on the big bear shot with the 300 WSM and the 180 Accubond. That was impressive. I sure dont think I would be shooting bears more than 500 yds with these size bullets. Our black bears seldom get over 400 lbs and 300 lbs is usually a good bear here. Hopefully we will be able to hunt griz soon. I think I would stay inside 300 yds for a good size griz (about 400 - 500 lbs) With a RUM I might go a little farther.

Unless I missed it on their website, Nosler doesn't show a 200 grain Etip in 30 cal. The 180 E tip bc is .523 and the 180 AB is .507. That difference is so small that it may be erased by other factors such as bullet stability, wind, accuracy, etc. In other words, don't worry about it.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
Unless I missed it on their website, Nosler doesn't show a 200 grain Etip in 30 cal. The 180 E tip bc is .523 and the 180 AB is .507. That difference is so small that it may be erased by other factors such as bullet stability, wind, accuracy, etc. In other words, don't worry about it.
You're right, dont know why I typed 200 gr on the E-Tip and have corrected it. I like the idea of a monometal bullet as *theorhetically* they tend to be more accurate. Maybe I'll experiment with the 180 Accubonds also, if the E-Tips dont water my eyes. If and When I get a 300 RUM I'll probably go with the 200 gr Accubonds.

~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 06-02-2008 at 11:20 PM.