Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long range bullet minimal expansion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range bullet minimal expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
I killed 2 deer last week on Ag damage tags.
The 140 Berger Hybrids are a poor choice, 460 yards and the out holes were very small. If they hit heavy bone the results were a little better.

Can't wait for some hunting hybrids.
Jim.....
That 4 port slab muscle break that I put on my 30/375 S.I. turns a tiger in to a pussy cat.......Rich
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

I'll take 400 of the Non-bonded Please I've dug some of the 300gr OTM's out of sand or dirt banks that are fully expanded with an impact velocity of 1300 fps ish at 1900 yards and a 300 SMK just bends like a banana at that range.

You know every time you post pictures Dad and I have to discuss how to get some Corbin tooling

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'll take 400 of the Non-bonded Please I've dug some of the 300gr OTM's out of sand or dirt banks that are fully expanded with an impact velocity of 1300 fps ish at 1900 yards and a 300 SMK just bends like a banana at that range.

You know every time you post pictures Dad and I have to discuss how to get some Corbin tooling
That's encouraging with the OTM's. One thing about a large, heavy bullet, that inertia will help expansion over a lighter bullet with the same type of jacket. The SMK is the WORST bullet I've tested as far as expansion in a target style bullet. It's not because the jacket is thicker, it is because of the tangent ogive vs a secant; or at least that is what I believe. The angle of entry against the nose has a lot to do with whether it opens or not. The sierra jacket is actually a thou or two thinner than a J4. If you build that S.I., I may donate some SXR's for testing......Rich
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Riley, if you are still set up to test & are willing, I can send you some 300SMK's that I have uniformed the meplats on. That makes the Meplat larger & could/should create quicker expansion.

let me know.

t
Outlaw i sent you a pm.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

I need to make a correction on a post I made yesterday concerning the Berger. I got looking at my notes and thought that I had made a major mistake so I did the test over today. It turns out that the Bergers take quite a bit more velocity to open than what I originally posted. Part of the problem was, I was also testing some bullets with drilled out tips and confused some of the data. Below is a pic of todays test. I have also determined that the tips that are drilled out will expand down to at least 1900' (maybe farther). I hope to test this further when I get a chance. By the way, this is in no way a knock on the Bergers because as far as I know, they are not advertised as hunting bullets anyway. Also, it doesn't mean that they won't work as hunting bullets within some parameters....RichLong range bullet minimal expansion-dscf0183.jpg

Note the pic of the tip! This is a recurring result with the tip not expanding from the meplat, but rather rupturing, or breaking off, at the end of the hollow cavity where the lead begins. This is around .4" from the meplat which explains the high b.c. of the Berger without needing excessive twist for this long of bullet (i.e. not much weight forward) You can also see that the bullet fired at 1900' was starting to rupture at that point. It appears to me that the pressure entering the hollow point takes a path of lesser resistance which happens to be at the junction of the core and ruptures there rather than expand at the tip?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Here is another pic of the tip phenomenon.......Long range bullet minimal expansion-dscf0177.jpg
lousy pic, I will post another.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Clearer pic of tipLong range bullet minimal expansion-dscf0178.jpg