Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Long range (1K) cal. and Ideas wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2001, 09:41 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Long range (1K) cal. and Ideas wanted

I am in the begining stages of setting up a custom rifle. I need ideas and suggestions for cal. barrel length and twist rate Etc.
I am open to all options and ideas. I want this rifle to be effective to 1K to harvest deer humainly. I also want a rifle that is pleasant(fun) to shoot. Not a rifle that will punish me everytime I pull the trigger.
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long range (1K) cal. and Ideas wanted

Hello and Welcome aboard

I have a few "carry guns" that may just fit your mode.
My carry guns range in weight up to 16 1/2 Lbs , some are 10 Lbs.

I like the 6.5/300 Weatherby, the 7/300 Weatherby or the 300 Weatherby (No freebore) all with a custom tapored barrel that is 30" long. A by-pod can be used on any of the above I have, plus they can be put aboard any of your horses quite easily, ATVs also.

As far as recoil, a muzzle brake can be used but, you should have some type of ear protection. Just the small plugs will work.

A scope such as a Leupold Longrange with a power of 8 1/2X to 25X with the large target knobs is a must if you don't want to use a dot system. I prefer to click my own clicks when shooting at longrange.

With the above mentioned calibers and scopes you should be well on your way to making kills regularly at 1000 yards.

My wife and I would probably be inclined to come and help out with clicks and spotting for you, if so desired. She and I hunt in Colorado every year and will be out there in Oct. I also have a friend that hunts with us that will be going to your State this year for a BIG buck. He plans on coming down and hunting with us in Colorado also.

Hope the information above will help you out.

Darryl Cassel