Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long nosed bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: Long nosed bullets

Jon A, What kind of bunjee cord do you use with that light of RUM?? Just kidding, but are you using a break of some sort? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

Heh. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] No brake. It's really quite pleasant now with the new stock. I guess I'm just used to it since it was even worse for so many years even as a 300 Win Mag but a bit lighter with the (horribly designed--the newer Brownings are better) factory stock. As a 300 RUM with that stock, before I added weight...that was brutal!

Now it's a pussycat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Of course I don't try and play macho-man at the range--I use a Past Super Magnum shoulder protector and would not give up the Decelerator on the stock for the world. The new McMillan is so well designed and it's now heavy enough it's really a joy to shoot. I don't even think about the recoil any more. And the new barrel will add a bit more weight and make it even nicer. There was a time when it really did hurt me. It just doesn't anymore.

Really, it's much nicer than your average DGR. It just shoots farther. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 03:52 AM
Gold Member

Jon A, If it shoots like a pussy cat with a decelerator pad, I'd like to see what a limbsaver pad would do. I've changed out two decelerators for the new limbsavers, and noticed a much softer recoil from each rifle. Just a thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2005, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I have heard the Limbsaver is softer for absorbing recoil--but also a bit "mushier" in other ways. In any case, I don't feel I need it now.

Hey, I just noticed you're in my neck of the woods...well, close anyway. You'd be welcome to shoot it sometime if you like. Ever get to this side of the state?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Silver Member

Cowboy, you may get one round in the magazine, try it. Often, the first round in the magazine can be seated actually longer than the magazine, the nose of the bullet can go up in the feed ramp area and the action. This will allow you a 2 shot repeater. Varioius calibers differ on this technique, you will have to try it and see. You can seat the bullets on two more rounds deeper to go into the magazine as back ups only. I usually dip the short seated rounds in touch up blueing solution to mark the brass so that I don't get them mixed up with the rounds that have the bullets touching the lands. I dip brass in touch up blueing solution before it is loaded with a spent primer in the primer pocket, then allow the brass to dry for a couple of days before handling just in case there might be some leaking from a loose fitting primer.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

I always seat my bullets about an 1/8" less the max bullet length on my reloading equipment, I measure with my caliper.
Never had any problem putting bullets into rifles mag. Bullets shoot as well as can be expected. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]