Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Long nosed bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Long nosed bullets

I want to try some lapua scenars or some bergers and some match kings in my 243 AI. I'm worried that they won't fit in the mag box when loaded to just off the lands. I don't want to use it as a single shot if it can be avoided. I will however consider it if you guys think the trade off will be worth it. I'm using this gun as a longer range deer and coyote gun so a second shot may be required. What do you guys think? Am I totally out to lunch or what?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Long nosed bullets

cowboy, Give it a try, and load them to fit the mag. You may be surprised that even if not touching the lands they may shoot well. I was single shooting a 243 with 105 a-maxs and decided to make them fit the box. accuracy loss was negligable. very slight point of impact change though.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Cowboy:

The way Iíd look at it is, if the gun is up to the task, power and accuracy wise, then Iíd load them in whatever fashion it takes to get the best accuracy. If the bullet is put where it should, and has the construction and energy to handle the job, then itíll probably not matter that itís a single shot configuration if necessary.

The 7mm AM I just got from Kirby has the HS bottom metal and DBM even though I load in a configuration that requires me to use it as a single shot. I knew going in that 99% of the rounds through the gun would be done single shot, but I want to be able to work up another, separate load, to use with the detachable box magazine should the need come up.

I killed my deer and elk this season shooting the gun single shot and had no problems. I look it as though the single shot mode just makes me be more precise. Thereís the possibility that you may count on using multiple shots if you have the repeating feature. Single shot will make sure you focus and make the first shot count. Just do your part and the single shot should be enough.

Like Coyboy said though, you may be surprised and find that the shorter loaded length may be accurate enough for you. Try it both ways but donít be afraid to go the single shot route. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Cowboy ,
Have the same dilemma with my Remington based .243 AI . If you try it , please let me know how you go with the 105 A - Max seated to magazine depth .
If that doesn't work for you , I've been using the 87gn V Max (BC.400) on game with good success at 3315 FPS ahead of 44.7 gns AR 2209 (H4350) . Berger also do a 90 grainer with a B.C. of .410 that should be good .
Have read that the Lapua Scenars aren't great on game anyway .
Old 11-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

You guys are right! I'm gonna give it a go and if it turns out single shot length only the thats the way it is. I can always go to the hunting load I have now which is definately ok if I need to.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

As the proud owner of several "Single Shot" rifles. Here is my take. I don't spend the time and money to perfect my rounds and then pull the trigger and have every one of my high BC rounds turned into a flat nose on the pull of the trigger.

Everything in life is a trade off. 243 might not have enough recoil to damage shells in the mag. So work up some load that will fit in and work up it's powder to get the vel. and MOA you require. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Platinum Member

I guess I'm probably in the minority here...I seat my rounds to fit the magazine. If a bullet doesn't shoot so seated, I look for another. I don't have any interest in using my 300 as a single shot except maybe for some experimentation/plinking.

Of course, its mission is probably a little different than some others' here. It's a light hunting rifle. As it sits now it's just a hair over 9 lbs and with the new barrel should still be a hair under 10 lbs with scope mounted--which is pretty light for a 300 RUM. It's a "do everything" rifle. I want to be able to reach out as far as possible, but I still spend a bunch of time sneaking through the brush where I've killed bucks at 15 yds with it. I haven't needed a follow-up shot in 15 years, but I want to have them available if needed. And the last thing in the world I want to have to do after jumping off a horse and yanking it out of the scabbard...is loading the damn thing!

Of course it's a compromise, but I really don't think I've left much accuracy potential on the table from such a light rifle with such a skinny factory barrel. It has done as well as possibly could be expected. I believe there's a hell of a lot more to gain from a quality barrel than there is from playing seating depth tricks that will only be a pain in my ass in the field.

For a 12lb, 15lb, or heavier rifle that would see a more specific "long range only" mission, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe one day I'll build one of those. But even if I did, I think I'd still be spending much of my time carrying this one. For the ranges I'm likely to shoot, I don't see this compromise as being a deal-breaker accuracy-wise. Maybe not optimum, but I've got bigger fish to fry.