Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which long action savage is a large shank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which long action savage is a large shank

Can we buy just the 110BAS Action. I would like to have one with a 338 EDGE barrel.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

If the 110 BA action was available that would solve a lot of my personal issues
I already decided to go nutless on the Norma, but how would opening up an action to a large shank weaken it overall, the 110 BA seems to confirm the need for more chamber strength vs action strength, or am I all wet.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

I'd love to be able to just buy the 110 lapua action as well and send my 300 ultra barrel off and have it reamed to a 300jazz. But like most of the time I can want in one hand and you know what in the other and see which one fills up the fastest.....ha
Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

I too would like to know just how opening up an action to large shank weakens the rifle?? I can understand the reasoning that the action is weaker as there is less metal.. Isn't this more than compensated for buy the extra metal in the barrel??? Hence why Savage went to the large shank on the RUMs and WSMs??

Or am I still in a haze from night shifts??LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

The large shank is weaker, there is no need for more metal in the chamber, as I have stated befor pressure is pressure no matter what the cartridge is, thats why they have chamber vents, and a savage just happens to have 2. Having the large shank stresses the action more when you try to make it carry long heavy barrels. Oh and good luck finding a 03-06 model 116 in 7mm or 300 RUM cause thats the only large shank long action your goona find!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
The large shank is weaker, there is no need for more metal in the chamber, as I have stated befor pressure is pressure no matter what the cartridge is, thats why they have chamber vents, and a savage just happens to have 2. Having the large shank stresses the action more when you try to make it carry long heavy barrels. Oh and good luck finding a 03-06 model 116 in 7mm or 300 RUM cause thats the only large shank long action your goona find!
OK, not trying to start anything but if the large shank is actually weaker why does Savage make there largest case chamberings on the large shank? From what I've read the 338 Lapua in a small shank allows to much chamber movement and sticky brass but in the large shank it seems to support the case. Then we have the lugs which I understand the new one for the 110 BA is longer but we have that covered with the new bolt head. Lug abutments can not be reinforced so that is a weak point still.
The Lapua makes me nervous but the Norma with less body taper should have a little less bolt thrust that and it is designed for the Rem 700 so that adds a little more confidence. I know the Lapua in the Rem 700 has ended badly for a couple guys so still not something to just through together on a whim!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Well for starters how many 338 lapuas and various ultra mags and other wild cats, even the 416 based big weatherbys have been put on a remington 700 action? Answer I dont know probably tens of thousands. There is .005" difference in a standard savage and a remington 700. The advantage going to the savage with slightly wider, much longer locking lugs, but they still work on the 700s. as far as chamber movement it is as I stated small or large shank people are trying to hang 30-32" barrels weighing 6.5-10lbs from these actions and they do not like that without a 2 or 3" barrel sleeve for support, neither does the remington. I am finishing up the stock on the 270 wby mag I just built off of a model 116, i'm loading 140grn accubonds at 3430fps with 74grns RE22 with no pressure signs at all, could probably go 75-76grns but do not want to lose accuracy, the load im using is probably pretty close to 70,000psi, i have yet to have an issue. Most smiths use the small shank to build on your losing a whopping .065" of metal around the chamber, by the time its threaded i dont even think by just looking at the barrel you could tell hardly and difference without a caliper or mic. You do what you want but I will stick with the standard shank, 1.055" vs 1.120" real big advantage!