Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which long action savage is a large shank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Which long action savage is a large shank

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that somebody here will be able to tell me which model or models of long actions were large shank. I'm wanting to find one but dont really know how to go about doing it. I know where a model 116 is in a 270 I've heard that 116 are large shank but don't know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Which long action savage is a large shank

I'm interested in a definitive answer to your question as well. I know I've handled two long actions with large shanks and both were model 116's in 300RUM from the factory, I should have bought both but hind sight is 20/20.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'm interested in a definitive answer to your question as well. I know I've handled two long actions with large shanks and both were model 116's in 300RUM from the factory, I should have bought both but hind sight is 20/20.
You and me both I had one about three years ago I sure wish I knew then what I know now.

Nathan
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Nathan,

I answered you over on Savageshooters, but I'll comment here too.

The only long action large shanks were RUM actions. They quit making them a few years ago. They still pop up, but they are getting tougher to find.

You can always have your large shank barrel turned down to fit a small shank action.

Many think that the large shanks are better and stronger but I've built several big RUM's and WSM's on small shanks and have seen no problems.

For the extra money you save buying a small shank action, you could get your barrel turned to small shank.

Also, you could sell your barrel easier if it was small shank.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Geargrinder,

I've read where guys have had their small shank actions opened up and re-threaded to a large shank. What do you think about that, would it maybe help in building a 338 Norma or Lapua size case to put more meat into the chamber area.

Ya, two years ago I had two that I could have bought for 600 dollars for both and I got stingy and I should have snapped them up!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't consider it at all. Most gunsmiths that know Savages real well won't do it either.

You're gaining very little by making your action weaker.

If you want to run a Lapua sized round in your Savage, I'd recommend eliminating the nut.

My Lapua bolt head showed up today. I haven't decided what it is going to be.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Crap. I just remembered that Savage is making a long action large shank action currently.

It's the 110BAS in 338 Lapua.

All Nathan would have to do is swap in a regular magnum bolt head and switch barrels.