Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

LoadBase 3.0 Mobile w/G7 BC Test Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Pics of Skyscreen Protector

Good built! :-)

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: LoadBase 3.0 Mobile w/G7 BC Test Results

For those with the interest:
I chronographed another Berger .284 168VLD Hunting bullet this past Saturday at long range. Distance was 981 yds. Bullet fired from my .280 RCBS Improved. I've chronographed this load pretty extensively in load development and it has a SD of less than 5 fps, based on about 8 different shooting sessions and a total of about 30 rounds chronographed. [By the way, the load is 62.2 grains H1000, Federal 210 Match primers, Lapua 30-06 brass, from a 28" Brux barrel.] Confidence in MV is high and I use the exact same chronograph setup at 981 yds so if the chronograph reads a little low or higher than the absolutely true velocity, there will be negligible affect on bullet BC determination from the chronographed data. BC is a velocity difference-based calculation, and if the true velocity is 10 fps faster than recorded at my muzzle, it will likely be 10 fps faster than recorded at 981 yds also.

Atmospheric Conditions: Station Pressure 29.85 inHg; 39 F; 42% Humidity

Chronographed Velocities:
Muzzle velocity = 2920 fps
981 yd velocity = 1569 fps

Using Patagonia Ballistics LoadBase 3.0 ballistics software, I entered the atmospheric conditions and Berger's advertised G7 BC of 0.316. LoadBase 3.0 predicted a 981 yard velocity of 1571 fps. Again, my chronographed velocity, captured with my dual-chronograph setup to help ensure credible data, was 1569 fps. A chronographed velocity (1569fps) which differed from the predicted velocity (1571fps) by only 2 fps at 981 yds! Dang! Pretty incredible correlation.

I only captured one reading at 981 yards because a very slight wind began to move my bullets left and right of the skyscreens by the time I had all the equipment set up and ready to go. The one shot I captured was dead centered over the skyscreens and cleared them by about 2 inches. Just barely cleared my AR 500 protective plating.

PS: I feel much better shooting over protected skyscreens.

Also, H1000 seems to be incredibly stable at temperatures from 4F to 68F with this cartridge. Most of my chronographed MV data was collected in ambient temperatures between 32 to 45F. Once I was happy with the load and the low ES/SDs, I chronographed a few shots in the backyard with both a room temperature rifle and ammo, and then again with the rifle and ammo placed in a 4F chest freezer for 8 hours prior to firing. The difference in MVs over these temperature extremes fell within the normal variation of all the chronographed shots fired between 32 to 45F. I was surprised the MV didn't drop off at 4F.

Last edited by phorwath; 04-12-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Really enjoyed reading that!!!!!

Very awesome. Have to admit you're a good shot!

Would I do it even with the protection? My lock I ruin both of them!!!!

Thanks for posting!

I hope you have received some of my e-mails I sent your way.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 04-14-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Gold Member

Great testing, and thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

+1. Great testing and build job on the protection. rc
Old 04-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Hi all,
I have a prototype up and running of a camera system that will send very high resolution images up to 10 miles over a lightweight, inexpensive battery powered radio link. My original purpose was to provide a realtime view of small caliber bullet impacts on paper targets at ranges of 1000 yards and beyond, so I got interested when you mentioned having to drive downrange to read the cronograph. For THAT purpose I may have a much less expensive solution (still waiting on one component), but if you own a (cheap) SPARE computer to put downrange (out of harms way) I can show you how to use an inexpensive webcam to read the cronograph on another computer at the firing line. For that matter the radio link network can connect you to almost any sort of downrange instrumentation, and it may be inexpensive enough to put up at intermediate locations as well. And before you ask, no I haven't got an annemometer setup yet, but that's high on my to-do list. I'm very interested in any ideas and feedback about this project, and whether or not it has commercial viability.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting. I couldn't say how many chrono at those distances, but the convenience of that type of equipment is apparent to anyone that does. I have to drive back and forth multiple times with my current equipment, to adjust for proper POIs and check for data collection on the chronos. As with most things in life, cost will be a significant factor. I've got extra laptops, so if the additional equipment is cost effective, they could be a good match and I could envision some of us LR fanatics parting with their money and purchasing the additional hardware.