Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Loadbase 3.0 and Exbal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Loadbase 3.0 and Exbal

I have been a solid Loadbase supporter but I have shot with a few and read of a few extremely solid long range shooters and hunters that rely on and use Exbal, so I thought I would give it a try to see how it works this hunting season.

I loaded Exbal on to a Dell Axim X51 and I put it on the CF card so I can run Loadbase on the main system and have ample room for updates. I set it up so I can tab between Loadbase and Exbal just by pushing a button. Going from one to the other is fast so it will make for a very good comparison!

My initial impression is that Exbal is extremely easy to get up and running, I'm not a computer geek but I can usually struggle and fight with something long enough to figure it out and Loadbase takes just a little computer savy to get up and running.

Exbals flow is a little broken up to me, in and out of screens and having to edit functions like output values in one screen to change in another. Loadbase has a good flow and the core ballistics tab contains sub tabs that you can move though and you can change the out put values very easily from the page your on.

Exbal owns the speed department, it is fast to load pages and fast to adjust to new input values. Loadbase is slower for sure and I see how this was frustrating to Broz.

I really dig the trajectory validation tool and is one of the main reasons I wanted Exbal. I also wanted to check out the ballistic reticle analysis tool.
The Library on Loadbase and Exbal are both good and handy, it seems like Loadbase has more stuff and one very big advantage to Loadbase is the updates that come out when it is needed.

Loadbase really has a ton of tools on it, now it has GPS capability if your set up with GPS on your PPC. Loadbase has a bunch of Analyzer functions and it has a very nice Logbook funtion.

I like how simple Exbal is, all the extras and bells and whistles are not why I carry ballistics programs with me hunting and shooting. On target, cold bore hits in varying terrain and conditions are why I carry them, time will tell which one I can get better dopes from.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Loadbase 3.0 and Exbal

Exball is really easy to use.

You do not have to exit and enter on new meniu all the time.
The only info what you have to change after you setup the load, are FIELD CONDITION - TARGET ENGAGEMENT

Just Click on FIELD COND (imput all the info) and click NEXT (will jump you right on Target engagement.
nEXT PRESS cALCULATE.

Just pay little more time with exball and you will noticed the simplicity.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

I have both and a bunch of others, and I completely agree that the field versions need to be stick figure simple and fast. Just the meat and potatos please!

I used Exbal in the field for years in a PPC, and even it was a bit cumbersome. I went with a custom spreadsheet for awhile which was perfect, but batteries where always an issue with a PPC. So then I settled on field click cards. This has worked good for my ranges. After working with LB for a year or so on a laptop, and reviewing field screens, I'm not even gonna attempt to actually use it in the field. It's just beyond pratical IMO. I know they're always adding features. It's alright I guess.

I've picked up Moball for next season.
Battery life in MONTHS.. Absolutely no 'extra' screens or features to muddle things up. Just exactly what's needed for inputs and a single solution for me to dial in & hold-off. No stupid drop tables with TOF, and energy, and a bunch of other useless in the field. Just MOA of adjustment.

I risk alot of crap here cause I know this forum rallies to LB. And LB's great, well worth the money.
Just not what I'd carry in the field.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

You guys are describing what I feel with way more tact than I could. But this is exactly how I feel. LB is great to use at the desk, but not necessary and to slow for in the field. And the in field stuff is all I really care about.

So,,,,, guess I am not so alone after all. Kinda gives me a warm fuzzy feeling....

Bottom line... use what works well for ya.

Jeff...
Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

I'll get it into the field soon hopefully, bow season is on so we'll see So far just comparing it to trajectories that I have validated and know are good in Loadbase, using the same data Exbal has been about 3/4 MOA low. But, I've been shooting with LB so I know what it likes for accurate trajectories so I feel I just need to get some range time and shoot a few hundred rounds to get a feeling for what Exbal is looking for.

The speed at which I get a solution to me is only nice while sitting at home, in the field I don't care how fast I get the solution just as long as it is a good one. I take a lot of time when taking a LR shot, I sit and watch the game for half hour or more so more than likely if I were to need a solution so fast that it would make a difference then I won't shoot that rushed.

I didn't start this thread to pile on one program or the other more just to look at some of the differences and some weak or strong points between the two and to learn how they both work, mostly out of respect for some good shooters that I have seen and shot with.

I actually hope that I get to know both programs equally well so that I can use both, I don't mind redundancy at all as it helps catch mistakes I've made with an input.
Loadbase or Exbal or any other ballistics program is not a replacement for rounds down range but they sure can be a good tool!!!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300rum View Post
Exball is really easy to use.

You do not have to exit and enter on new meniu all the time.
The only info what you have to change after you setup the load, are FIELD CONDITION - TARGET ENGAGEMENT

Just Click on FIELD COND (imput all the info) and click NEXT (will jump you right on Target engagement.
nEXT PRESS cALCULATE.

Just pay little more time with exball and you will noticed the simplicity.
What version are you using, when I change field conditions then I have to hit "update" then it goes back to the front page then I have to chose "target engagement" fill that in hit "update" and then it goes back to the front page then I get to hit "calculate" to get to the solution.

One thing I really like is to have wind values in time value not degrees, plus for Exbal.
One thing that I dislike but really like in LB is the wind value is adjustable from the solution page, it seems in Exbal I have to back out and change the wind value in the target page then update which takes me to home then calculate again.
I see no speed value in Exbal in this case because you have to go through 4 screen changes to get the data changed but LB I just punch it up and tap the range box and it recalculates no screen changes.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
So far just comparing it to trajectories that I have validated and know are good in Loadbase, using the same data Exbal has been about 3/4 MOA low. But, I've been shooting with LB so I know what it likes for accurate trajectories so I feel I just need to get some range time and shoot a few hundred rounds to get a feeling for what Exbal is looking for.
BnG, if you know it is running 3/4 moa low, why not just do a tragectory validation on your exbal? Then start comparing them. Might be good practice to see the traj val work.

Just a thought.

Jeff