Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Load Development During Barrel Break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Load Development During Barrel Break in

I will be receiving my first custom rifle with in a couple of weeks, it's a .338 Edge. I was wanting to begin loading some test rounds for load development.

What do most of you do when making loads for the barrel break in period? Should I just load 20 or so rounds at the starting charge weight and just use them for break in and don't shoot for accuracy and precision?

Or can you go ahead and load in powder increments for load development at the same time as breaking in the new barrel?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Load Development During Barrel Break in

for my .308, I found max load during break in, first rounds were increments so I could see where my particular gun maxed out. you can probably go farther than that and start narrowing it down a bit while breaking in your barrel.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

During the 1 shot and clean portion of break in I am working up the charge looking for max. Then when I start the 3 shot and clean I start to get an Idea of accuracy. By the end of break in I will have an idea of what the rifle is liking. Then I go back with these results and fine tune the load after break in. Just did an Edge too.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
During the 1 shot and clean portion of break in I am working up the charge looking for max. Then when I start the 3 shot and clean I start to get an Idea of accuracy. By the end of break in I will have an idea of what the rifle is liking. Then I go back with these results and fine tune the load after break in. Just did an Edge too.

Jeff
Jeff what would be your start and max charge weight for the below?

H1000
300gr. SMKs

I plan on loading them to 3.780" AOL per the smiths recommendation.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsims View Post
Jeff what would be your start and max charge weight for the below?

H1000
300gr. SMKs

I plan on loading them to 3.780" AOL per the smiths recommendation.
Probably 88 gr and work up to 90 in 1 gr steps. Then drop back to 1/2 grain steps. If you make it to 92 start watching very close. Some get to 93 gr but I never have. I have pressure signs at 92.5 with this one. Rifles and powder lots will vary results so work up and watch.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Barrel break in for a custom lapped barrel is a mythical creation designed to shorten barrel life. One of the Mcmillans had some great comments about the idea's origin and challenged the mechanical benefit to the barrel from "break-in". His thoughts were that a barrel was most accurate on the first shot and every shot after that was a degradation. FWIW those boys did shoot the smallest group in history, some maintain it was a zero, officially scored as .009. Factory barrels and custom barrels are very different physically and mechanically.

You should never have to break-in a lapped custom barrel.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

Jeff
+1

I develop the same as Broz only add six rounds at the end of the three to five shot development strings with what I would estimate as a "safe" load for scope tracking. After the last 3 to 5 shot load development string, clean and cool, then start with the first 3 of 6 round shots for group, cool, three more with 30-40 MOA elevation adjustment on a tall target and plum for cant if results are acceptable, then clean again. This uses 6 more rounds fire formed out of the lot of 50 new brass I usually start with.

Last edited by MMERSS; 04-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.