Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A little practice before.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 10:01 PM
SPONSOR

A little practice before.......

Lerch and I managed to get out and do a little shooting on Saturday. We had nine guns that were not ours that had to be sighted in so we took care of that first. Pretty boring shooting over and over and over again @ 100 yds, but we managed to get them all 3" high which is where the owner wanted them.

After that I wanted to shoot a ladder w/the 13 rounds I had loaded up w/the 240 smks (thanks abinok) for my 300 RUM but it was just too windy. So I just set up the chono and fired all 13 @ 100 yds. Much to my suprise, all 13 shots went into .8". It just cut out a big hole in the target. It wasn't a total waste however, from 83 gr of Retumbo to 87 gr there was almost no velocity gain. 87.5 jumped about 40 fps and I topped out w/89 gr just shy of 3000 fps. I didn't really notice any pressure signs except for a little primer flow. I think I'll go back to 85 gr and see what she'll do. I think I will be pleased evean @ a modest 2850 fps. Here is a pic of the group. As the velocity jumped, the group spilled over to the right.

Steve and I both shot our 270 AMs to confirm zero and check our velocities. Mine shot about a .5" 5 shot group and averaged right @ 3450 fps. The ES was a bit large but one of the rounds I fired was seated deeper than the rest.

After going to Lerch's parent and eating lunch we went back out to have some fun. We filled up 10 or so jugs w/water and set them out @ various ranges.

Lerch was up first, I put in a BC of .740, the conditions as given to me by the Kestrel, a range of 600 yds and Lerch let her fly. It wasn't a hit but he took the foundation out from under the quart bottle. It definatly would have been a dead whitetail!!!!!

I then lined up on the 600 yarder and missed twice but not by enough to concern me in a 20 mph wind. Both shots were plenty good for a dead deer.

We then stretched things out a bit and shot @ the larger jugs we had placed @ 950 yds. The elevation of 15.5 moa given to us by exbal was perfect. It took a little trial and error to get the wind right as it was gusting pretty good. There is no way I would have taken that shot on a deer but I don't feel too bad about wounding a milk jug!!! After about 4 shots I finally connected dead center detergent jug and much to my suprise it flipped the thing pretty good. That 169.5 WC carried alot of energy and got pretty good expansion even @ this extreme range!!!! Below are a couple of pics of the jug.

After that, Lerch connected on two consecutive 950 yds jugs. One of them was another detergent jug. He hit it centered left and right but high. The lid shot off of that thing and went 15 ft in the air and the jug never moved!!!! Again, I was impressed by the energy and expansion of the WC bullets.

We shot a few more @ 950 yds and then some @ 800 yds as well. All in all it was a good day and did alot for both of our confidence levels. I think those deer are in some serious trouble!!!!

Here are some pics of our rifles. The one in the front is my 300 RUM. Don't make fun of my crooked brake. If the thing didn't shoot so good I'd make that lazy smith straighten it up, but I'm afraid he'd just screw it up. The second gun is Lerch's 270 AM w/the 112BVSS stock on it. It is now much less cumbersome and rides the bag much better. I'm very jealous as my 270 AM is the third and still has the Choate US on it. I'm going to have to make it work this season as my A5 won't be here until around Christmas time.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Re: A little practice before.......

All I can say is, I want! I want! I want!

Any questions?

Stephen
Old 11-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Bill Bailey:

Looks to me like those whitetails are going to be in a lot of trouble when the season opens up for you guys. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Keep busting the jugs and the whitetails will be a piece of cake for the 270 AM's.

The new stock sure changed the looks of Steve's gun and yours will also look entirely different with the new A-5.

Good luck on your upcoming hunt and keep us posted with the story and pics.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:05 AM
SPONSOR

yea I absolutly love that stock, I just feel like I can get down on the gun a lot better and there is no comparisson on how this new stock will ride a rear bag. The only problem with this stock is that now I have to worry about tearing it up since it looks so pretty. In the past I have been pretty hard on guns but hopefully I will treat this one a little better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What do you all think of BJ's duck hunting dog in that first gun pic, mean little SOB

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 11-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Steve:

That duck hunter looks pretty comfortable on his pad. Can you really talk him into hunting? Might have to make him a whitetail hunting dog too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go easy on tearing up that 270 AM, but if you do, I know somebody that will gladly build you another one. Might even have a slightly bigger chamber too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 12:16 PM
SPONSOR

Well I have a 75lb yellow lab that is our real duck dog but occasionally we take BJ's dog hunting with us and he gives it all he's got. He usually drops the dog at the shore line but at least he tries.

As for tearing up the gun I am really only worried about the stock. For some reason I don't screw up any of the hardware on my guns just the pretty stocks they are attached to. Even if I did jack up the barrel I am sure I will be sending it back to Kirby in a year or two to be rebarreled anyway, and yes it will be a little fatter chamber but the same bore [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I might be looking for something in the 12lb range in the 7mm AM, we will just have to see how the wifes new job works out.

SS7MM, post some more pics of that freakin beuatiful rifle of yours, that thing is honestly awe inspiring

take it easy
steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 11-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

I do believe my alztimers is not so bad that I have forgotten what a baby swing looks like. Have I missed some important news somewhere?