Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Lilja, Pacnor or Kreiger for 6mm Rem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Silver Member

Lilja, Pacnor or Kreiger for 6mm Rem

I have a custom M77 ruger 243 that the barrel is getting shot out on. I've already had it shortened and the throat cleaned once and feel that I would be better off replacing in this time, it has had lots of rounds fired. Since I already have the action, stock, and Timney trigger I will be building off this action and just adding a new barrel.

After asking for input from several forums, my gunsmith, and researching the manufacturers I have decided to go with one of the brands above in an unfluted stainless barrel 24" long that will finish out around 4lbs. I am basing my finished product of weight since the contours differ between companies. I plan to get a 1 in 10 or 1 in 9 twist to shoot the 85-90gr bullets with a BC around .400 at good velocity. The rifle will be primarily used for coyotes and a low-recoil practice rifle for long range. I have used the VLD designs, but prefer the expansion characteristics of the standard hunting bullets for my use. I like that they begin expanding more on impact for smaller bodied predators. Also I think the lighter bullets will be easier to seat to the short action magazine, and I've heard Nosler will have a 90gr accubond out soon.

Now down to my initial question, is there any one of these makers that stands out above the others for a 6mm barrel? Also does the 1 in 10 offer any advantage in this weight bullet over the 1 in 9?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Lilja, Pacnor or Kreiger for 6mm Rem

I have Krieger in 6br and 22-250, PacNor in 22br and Lilja in 17MachIV and they are all VERY good. Krieger is a cut rifled bbl that some think are better. You can't go wrong on any of the 3 you are considering. Good luck.
John
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

I own all 3 makes that you list. I'd probably prefer them in this order: Krieger, Lilja, then PacNor.

Last edited by Derek M.; 12-21-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Have you considered a slight gain twist tube? Something like a Kreiger 9.5 - 8.75 or 9.25 - 9 (breach to muzzle) might do some nice things for you. I know that George of GA Precision has been shooting his 6mm Crusader round in a gain twist barrel to very good effect from what I hear. I think his barrel is a Bartlein, but Kreiger does some gain twists I think.

Were you going to use a 5 or 6 groove barrel?

Good shooting,
Gary
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diriel View Post
Have you considered a slight gain twist tube? Something like a Kreiger 9.5 - 8.75 or 9.25 - 9 (breach to muzzle) might do some nice things for you. I know that George of GA Precision has been shooting his 6mm Crusader round in a gain twist barrel to very good effect from what I hear. I think his barrel is a Bartlein, but Kreiger does some gain twists I think.

Were you going to use a 5 or 6 groove barrel?

Good shooting,
Gary
I think the Kreiger is a 4 groove. I think I will just stick to a standard twist. I am hoping that it shoots a bullet like the 85gr Speer SBT (BC .404) or the 90gr Scirocco (BC .420) accurately. Nosler is also supposed to have a 90gr accubond with a .379BC out this year. I like the performance of this type bullet better on coyotes than the berger VLD's I've tried.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Thats cool, Kreiger does do a 5r now btw. Not sure if they are doing it in 6mm or not, but given how popular that is, I would think they probably would do one. Just a thought. If the temps are usually well up above freezing when you go out I am sure the 10 would usually get it done. Personally I prefer just a little bit of extra stability factor. Not too much, especially if you are really leaning on those small fast bullets, as they can grenade in mid air on a really over twisted barrel. Personally I think I would go with 9 or 9.25 in a straight normal twist.

Can't go wrong with a Kreiger, their rep has been well earned over the years. There are many great barrel makers these days!

Good shooting,
Gary
Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

sounds like your wanting to rebarrel a basic hunting rifle. That be the case, I'd forget about the Krieger and the Lilja. You'll never see the difference. You can send the rifle to Pacnor for a new barrel, and save yourself a hundred fifty bucks (they're fine barrels). The shilen barrel blank will be a good one for less money than the other two (I think they are better than a Krieger when you are talking about benchrest shooting). Might also look at a Bruxe. But a Pacnor will do everything you want for less money involved.
gary